Machining of thermal sprayed coatings
02-24-2012, 01:24 AM,
Machining of thermal sprayed coatings
Dear All;

Regarding the single point turning of thermal sprayed coatings, I am seeking the latest information available on methods, techniques and equipment.

At my shop, we predominately plasma spray Amdry 960, Metco 443NS, Metco 480NS, Amdry 718 and arc spray Tafa 73MXC and 75B. There are a few others but these are the heavy production materials.

While our success rate is good, I still get alot of calls to the floor to examine poor finishes, porosity in the thermal spray coating after turning, some chipping, small edge chips etc.

As usual, the coating process is blamed and not much accountability is held to the machine shop.

As I continue to develop our thermal spray processes, I believe the machine parameters should be examined in depth as well.

This leads me here to ask my fellow thermal sprayers what they would be willing to share in regards to finishing these coatings. Any information you can provide or point me to is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
02-28-2012, 06:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-28-2012, 06:57 PM by sreenuvundela.)
RE: Machining of thermal sprayed coatings
(02-24-2012, 01:24 AM)ServiceTech Wrote: Dear All;

Regarding the single point turning of thermal sprayed coatings, I am seeking the latest information available on methods, techniques and equipment.

At my shop, we predominately plasma spray Amdry 960, Metco 443NS, Metco 480NS, Amdry 718 and arc spray Tafa 73MXC and 75B. There are a few others but these are the heavy production materials.

While our success rate is good, I still get alot of calls to the floor to examine poor finishes, porosity in the thermal spray coating after turning, some chipping, small edge chips etc.

As usual, the coating process is blamed and not much accountability is held to the machine shop.

As I continue to develop our thermal spray processes, I believe the machine parameters should be examined in depth as well.

This leads me here to ask my fellow thermal sprayers what they would be willing to share in regards to finishing these coatings. Any information you can provide or point me to is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

(02-28-2012, 06:50 PM)sreenuvundela Wrote:
(02-24-2012, 01:24 AM)ServiceTech Wrote: Dear All;

Thanks in advance.

Hi

As you know that all thermal spray coatings will bond to substrate mechanically. So, it is always better to do grinding operation rather than carry turning on coating to get better surface finish and dimensional accuracy.

However, if you want to do machining only, then you have to concentrate much on metodology rather than on tooling.

During turning, you have to carry such that turner has to start from the middle of coating to one end so that cutting force will not act in opposite direction of mechanical bonding which will lead to peel off of coating at edges.

You have to take care about feed and depth of cut will be minimum.

Regards,

SREENIVAS
07-21-2023, 07:59 PM,
I can speak to 443ns...

We had to reduce to 0.005" per pass to avoid chipping, particularly with magnesium and aluminum substrates.

For whatever reason, this coating just does not like to bond very well to our parts.
07-24-2023, 01:04 PM,
Thank you both for your reply. It does seem that the best machining techniques are to start at the center of the coating and machine outwards and then inwards using depth of cut and infeed of .003" - .005" per revolution. Sometimes a deeper cut can provide a good finish at the risk of chipping the coating. I don't think it's worth the risk. We are still experimenting with various insert types and have mostly settled on traditional carbides due to most surfaces having interruptions in the form of bolt holes which really negates the use of diamond type inserts.
08-14-2023, 09:00 PM,
You need to keep the force on the coating low. This means sharp (small radius inserts) tools and low infeed and low surface speed.

The best results I've had, when dealing with machine shops that do not have coating experience, is to "treat it like cast iron". Like cast iron, coatings (unless completely dense HVOF) behave like cast iron- interrupted cut that dulls the tool quickly if you get too aggressive. This is exacerbated by higher oxide in the coating, which acts like embedded grit.

Unless it's an abradable, machine with oil as coolant on metals. Cermets and ceramics should be ground, even alumina.
Spraying since '87. University of Metco alum (99-16)

Available for consultation services- please send a PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Colmonoy Coating Machining Danmarco 0 1,557 01-23-2021, 02:05 AM
Last Post: Danmarco
  Environmental affect on plasma sprayed coatings nshepher 0 2,293 06-26-2018, 09:43 PM
Last Post: nshepher
  Thermal spray coatings over carbon fiber substrate Hector Monjardin 5 6,616 11-18-2015, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Hector Monjardin
  Electroplating Vs thermal spray coatings shantanu 1 5,336 04-10-2014, 07:16 AM
Last Post: sreenuvundela
  Thermal Spray Coatings Vijay Deshpande 2 5,355 03-25-2013, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Vijay Deshpande
Information Chrome oxide thermal sprayed coatings shelf life Leanne 1 4,390 02-14-2013, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Gordon
Exclamation Cleaning Ceramic (Chrome oxide) coatings - as-sprayed Leanne 1 4,643 02-04-2013, 08:18 PM
Last Post: kschewe
  Machining aluminium bronze hvof coating Orion 2 6,768 08-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Last Post: Orion
  "Strange" aspect of WC 17Co coating after machining pabloarriola 7 8,027 11-14-2011, 08:53 AM
Last Post: LEN WOOD
  Machining for Aluminum Bronze wire flame spray iwan-sedaryawan 3 8,003 01-12-2011, 11:47 AM
Last Post: iwan-sedaryawan
Cool Instrument to check coating thickness of Thermal Barrier Coatings odski0317 5 17,687 12-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Last Post: dienngothe
  smooth as-sprayed carbide coatings durkie 4 8,721 04-26-2009, 06:34 PM
Last Post: durkie
  Machining Acetal Copolymer and Stress RamaAnanda 2 6,076 02-26-2009, 03:32 AM
Last Post: RamaAnanda
  Book - "Thermal spray coatings & technology" farzin_g1 1 5,912 01-05-2009, 11:06 AM
  Thermal Spray Coatings onto CFRP Voivod 4 8,135 04-15-2008, 10:27 AM