Copy Protection of Files
10-25-2012, 08:41 AM
|Copy Protection of Files
If you use a shared computer, you may have certain sensitive files that you do not want copied by other users. For you to copy protect a file, your computer account needs administrator privileges. In other words, you need to be the primary owner and user of the computer. If you use a "guest" account, then the administrator will be able to override your attempts at copy protection. If you don't have access to administrator privileges, it's best to save your important files on a flash drive or compact disc to prevent unwanted copying. If you do have administrator privileges, you can restrict user permissions and protect files from unauthorized copying.
1. Right-click the file you want to protect.
2. Select "Properties" from the list of options.
3. Click the "Security" tab at the top of the recently opened Properties window.
4. Click the button labeled "Edit." This will follow text that reads "to change permissions, click Edit." A new window will pop open.
5. Click to highlight "Users" if you want to prevent all users from copying the file. If you just want to prevent one specific computer user from copying the file, select the name of the individual user instead.
6. Click the check-boxes labeled "Deny" next to the "Full Control" and "Write" headings. According to Microsoft, the Full Control and Write permissions will allow the user to create new files and folders. When you copy a file, you are technically making a brand new file that replicates the original file. If you deny the permission to create new files, you take away the user's ability to copy the file. Denying these options will make the file copy-protected.
7. Click "OK" to put the modified permissions into effect.
Thanks and Regards
|Possibly Related Threads...|
|How do I combine 2 PDF files into just 1?||VickyMilza||3||1,447||
Last Post: LucasMoore
|How to copy a text from secure Adobe pdf file?||VickyMilza||2||1,998||
Last Post: robinson18
|Disable the Keyboard's Copy & Paste||VickyMilza||0||5,697||
Last Post: VickyMilza
|Open Encrypted Files||VickyMilza||0||919||
Last Post: VickyMilza
Last Post: TonyMccallum
User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)