Exhaust Stack Internal Corrosion
11-16-2006, 05:43 AM,
Exhaust Stack Internal Corrosion
Dear Gordon,

The temp.in the internal of an exhaust stack is 50-60 degree C as the heat of flue gas is extracted in the economiser. Due to low temp. sulphuric acid formation takes place inside the chimeny, which corrodes and punctures the exhaust stack within 2 -3 years.

In case of economizer not being used the temp. of flue gas can sometimes go up to 400 degree centigrade.

4% furnace oil is being used.

Would a coating of aluminum thickness 175-200 microns withstand in the above atmosphere or which other coating would you suggest ? What could be the life expectation of the coating ?

Thanks in advance,

Raghav
11-16-2006, 04:17 PM,
RE: Exhaust Stack Internal Corrosion
Hi Raghav

Sign0016 to the Surface Engineering Forum.

Aluminium should prolong life, but by how much is very difficult to predict. Aluminium is good in mild acidic conditions and should have no problems with temperatures rising to around 400 C or so when the economiser is off. It really depends on how aggressive or acidic the environment gets. Usually, the worst of the corrosion in these structures is localised to where you have nooks and crannies or where the gas flow is turbulent and you get areas of low gas flow, which collect deposits and condensation. You could consider spraying the worst areas with something like inconel 625 and then cover the general area with aluminium.Wink
11-16-2006, 04:56 PM,
Dear SEF Members

I'm flattered that some of you post your messages addressed to me personally, but we do have a community of members here and are exposed to the WWW. There will always be people more qualified or will have better knowledge or experience on certain subjects. I suggest, that we take care when addressing posts, so we do not put these people off from posting replies.
11-29-2006, 10:42 AM,
Shy  RE: Exhaust Stack Internal Corrosion

Hi Raghav
in your stack you are below dew point and will get highly concentrated sulfuric acid.
There are two ways to overcome the problem:
1. Reheat the flue gas above dew point
2. Line the stack with nickel alloy material like UNS 06059 thin plate.
No other material will resist the corrosion for economically long time.
Source for this material is ThyssenKrupp VDM, Altena, Germany
contact through www.thyssenkrupp.com
I am retired materials consultant and had to deal with such problems in the last year of my car
eer.
best regards
11-29-2006, 02:57 PM,
Hi hapewoe

Sign0016 to the Surface Engineering Forum.

Thank you for your contribution.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ceramic exhaust coating soplillorfr 1 2,360 12-06-2020, 01:04 AM
Last Post: Stephen Booth
  Coating for cyclone internal surface Arturas 0 1,884 12-11-2018, 06:58 AM
Last Post: Arturas
Lightbulb Ceramic Coating of Internal Diameters and Small Precision Parts Refmet 0 5,275 07-08-2014, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Refmet
  The coating problem of screw in exhaust plastic extrusion granulator 657666143 2 4,644 11-19-2013, 07:42 AM
Last Post: 657666143