anybody use the MEC pf-700 powder feeder???
03-13-2009, 04:00 AM,
anybody use the MEC pf-700 powder feeder???
Anybody use this PF?
03-13-2009, 05:21 AM,
RE: anybody use the MEC pf-700 powder feeder???
(03-13-2009, 04:00 AM)Intel55 Wrote: Anybody use this PF?

Yes, We are using.....
03-13-2009, 02:25 PM,
(03-13-2009, 05:21 AM)karunanidhi Wrote:

Yes, We are using.....

What torch are you using with the pf?

Do you have any problems with it? I know this one guy who is, unfortunately, using alot of MEC "equipment" and he keeps having all sorts of trouble.
03-14-2009, 09:14 AM,
(03-13-2009, 02:25 PM)Intel55 Wrote:
(03-13-2009, 05:21 AM)karunanidhi Wrote:

Yes, We are using.....

What torch are you using with the pf?

Do you have any problems with it? I know this one guy who is, unfortunately, using alot of MEC "equipment" and he keeps having all sorts of trouble.

Dear Intel,

We are using pf-700 for all our coating systems like powder Flame spray, HVOF and Plasma coating guns for somany years. We never faced any problems. If you can tell the actual problem that your friend facing, we may suggest the real cause of the problem either it's due to powder feeder or any other.

regards
karunanidhi
03-16-2009, 08:08 PM,
[/quote]

Dear Intel,

We are using pf-700 for all our coating systems like powder Flame spray, HVOF and Plasma coating guns for somany years. We never faced any problems. If you can tell the actual problem that your friend facing, we may suggest the real cause of the problem either it's due to powder feeder or any other.

regards
karunanidhi
[/quote]

They were using some type of DJ type gun from MEC. It looks very much like an old DJ standard air cooled gun. They added the water cooling nozzle and such recently. The gun behaved OK, but they had a tendency to burn of powder injectors. Also, the gun leaked even with the handle turned straight up. So they got a brand new Sulzer Metco DJ2700 gun. They hooked it up to the "system" (pretty much a DJF MEC clone) and after about 15 minutes the powder injector burned up and the gun would not lite. Basically, I think the PF cannot handle the backpressure of the new gun. It seemed to be OK with the old gun which is a clone of the new gun. I think that the MEC DJ clone it just built to much looser standards and somehow operated with the pf-700. Usually the DJ torch requires a high pressure powder feeder, I have no idea if the pf-700 is or not.
03-27-2009, 09:58 AM,
Hi Intel,
Well the Pf 700 what we are having despite giving cost advantage can be use to spray lot of powders especially Fine powders. Well it appears that the Valve Core of the spray gun might have burnt because of the back fire through the powder injector.

1. I believe you are using correct parameters like disc RPM (5) and flow rate (10-12) say for Tungsten carbide (45-15). (This should normally give 28 to 30 gms/min)

2. Now kindly see this before you light up the powder feed line (i.e., the on off valve on the gun -typically found in MEC system) is closed. Never Ever put it ON before lighting up the system.

3. Further powder feed should be only put in ON condition provided the cannister pressure is atleast 4.5 to 5 bar (this is MUST otherwise flame will spoil the gun).

4. try to use nitrogen bottle with pressure around 6-7 bar although you can also use compressed air (depending on the powder)

I hope this should resolve the current crisis. MEC systems are kinda delicate systems to be handled very carefully but at the same time they give good results with proper usage and maintenance.

Regards
Girish
03-27-2009, 08:30 PM,
Hi all

Not sure I'm completely understanding this thread, but thought I'd make a comment about burning of gun powder injectors. The injectors rely on cooling from the carrier gas flow. It is important that carrier gas flow is always switch on and flowing at the recommended rate before gun ignition and not swich off until after flame out. Obvious, I know Toungue but most of the burnt injectors I've seen are caused by people lighting the gun without carrier gas flowing.
03-27-2009, 11:25 PM,
Hi Intel.

Not sure if you resolved this but you could talk to Plasmajet1990. They did have this system, but more importantly it would appear that they have masses of technical experience with many TS systems from 'low jack/old school' to State-of the-Art!

I noticed that Metallisation's HVOF feeder looks like the rich cousin of the PF-700? Perhaps you could buy the quality original and solve your problems?

Cheers
04-14-2009, 08:50 PM,
Hello - I use this PF. we used to run the DJ "copy" gun with the air cap as well as the hybrid head. We have since moved on to a Metco DJ gun but still use the MEC PF with no real issues. I don't think that the powder feeder is your problem. I too used to have issues with the powder injector burning and with some experimenting realized a few things:
1) The injector tip that seals to the nozzle doesn't always sit perfectly flat on the nozzle. Because of the way it was manufactured it did not make a perfect fit. we machined it flat to ensure a tight seal and it made a huge impact. Before we did this you could not touch the tube after lighting the gun as it was smoking hot becasue of leaking gases.
2) The injector tube has a tendancy to lossen off from the lighting procees. we found that the tube required tightening every time we fired the gun.

Check these things out before jumping to conclusions. I have been spraying with that PF for 3 years and not a glitch.

Pakalano

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  used powder feeder noblepowder 0 392 07-19-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: noblepowder
Bug Praxair powder feeder 1264 malfunction JeroenB 1 992 02-10-2023, 12:06 AM
Last Post: dawgpound
Bug Praxair powder feeder 1264 malfunction JeroenB 0 673 01-25-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: JeroenB
  9mpe powder feeder Longman1 4 2,834 10-07-2019, 11:23 PM
Last Post: ServiceTech
  HVOF DJ2600 DJ8W powder feeder issue vetrinit 5 8,416 06-17-2015, 04:39 PM