Thermal Barrier
10-22-2008, 07:53 PM,
Thermal Barrier
We require to coat mild steel bolts with a nonconductive/thermal barrier the thickness of coating requires to be thin enough for the threaded end of the bolt still to except a nut, temperature range -10 to plus 30 degrees, so quite a small range, and the coating requires to be anti corrosive, any surggestion as to materials and best process to appliy

please William Alexander
10-22-2008, 08:43 PM,
RE: Thermal Barrier
(10-22-2008, 07:53 PM)William Alexander Wrote: We require to coat mild steel bolts with a nonconductive/thermal barrier the thickness of coating requires to be thin enough for the threaded end of the bolt still to except a nut, temperature range -10 to plus 30 degrees, so quite a small range, and the coating requires to be anti corrosive, any surggestion as to materials and best process to appliy

please William Alexander

Hello,

I suggest you to use Al2O3 (Metco 101NS, Metco 105NS.........) with the plasma spray process.

Regards,
Ion
10-22-2008, 09:56 PM,
Hi William

Sign0016 to the Surface Engineering Forum.

Not really sure what you are after here, may be you can fill us in with a few more details.

I don't think a thermally sprayed ceramic coating or for that matter any other thermal barrier coating system will work on a thread/nut mating surfaces effectively.

Just thinking aloud, assuming a panel separating hot side from cold side, fasteners in this case steel nut and bolt provide unwanted heat conduction path. Ideally I suppose, fastener could be made from more thermally restrictive materials like plastic or ceramic . Possibly just placing a insulating cap over nut and/or bolt end should be effective and relatively cheap solution (you are also not so restricted so much by the thickness of insulation). Coating bolt and possibly nut I think will be expensive and not very effective.
10-23-2008, 10:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-23-2008, 10:10 AM by William Alexander.)
(10-22-2008, 09:56 PM)Gordon Wrote: Hi William

Sign0016 to the Surface Engineering Forum.

Not really sure what you are after here, may be you can fill us in with a few more details.

I don't think a thermally sprayed ceramic coating or for that matter any other thermal barrier coating system will work on a thread/nut mating surfaces effectively.

Just thinking aloud, assuming a panel separating hot side from cold side, fasteners in this case steel nut and bolt provide unwanted heat conduction path. Ideally I suppose, fastener could be made from more thermally restrictive materials like plastic or ceramic . Possibly just placing a insulating cap over nut and/or bolt end should be effective and relatively cheap solution (you are also not so restricted so much by the thickness of insulation). Coating bolt and possibly nut I think will be expensive and not very effective.

Thanks for your reply, I take your point as to the threaded section of the bolt, however would it be possable to coat the shaft of the bolt,and may be the threaded section whith a reletivly thin coating of non conductive/heat resistant material
Thanks for your reply, I take your point as to the threaded section of the bolt, however would it be possable to coat the shaft of the bolt,and may be the threaded section whith a reletivly thin coating of non conductive/heat resistant material
Sorry for the double entry, still learning
(10-22-2008, 08:43 PM)plasmajet1990 Wrote:
(10-22-2008, 07:53 PM)William Alexander Wrote: We require to coat mild steel bolts with a nonconductive/thermal barrier the thickness of coating requires to be thin enough for the threaded end of the bolt still to except a nut, temperature range -10 to plus 30 degrees, so quite a small range, and the coating requires to be anti corrosive, any surggestion as to materials and best process to appliy

please William Alexander

Hello,

I suggest you to use Al2O3 (Metco 101NS, Metco 105NS.........) with the plasma spray process.

Regards,
Ion

Thanks for your advice I will contact a supplier
10-23-2008, 12:59 PM,

please William Alexander
Probably no answer in thermal spraying for your ask. Sad
10-23-2008, 06:07 PM,
Hi William

Quote:Thanks for your reply, I take your point as to the threaded section of the bolt, however would it be possable to coat the shaft of the bolt,and may be the threaded section whith a reletivly thin coating of non conductive/heat resistant material
To be honest, I can't really see what you are trying to achieve and this makes it difficult to give sensible suggestions, though I understand if you can't give too much info away Happy0193

Yes, you could thermal spray or paint on slurry mix and bake a ceramic coating. But I would mask and not coat the threads where the nut goes. Plastic or resin coatings may also be an option, which would be a lot more conformable if coating the thread.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Yellow Spot on Thermal Barrier Coating achmadarifudinh 11 4,868 11-30-2020, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Lemster68
  Thermal barrier delamination problem Hector Monjardin 2 4,454 09-25-2015, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Joris Kraak
  Thermal Barrier Coating Aluminum Substrate for corrosion resistance alaskangrown 4 6,586 03-02-2015, 06:43 PM
Last Post: alaskangrown
  High velocity thermal barrier coating djewell 2 5,179 09-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Last Post: farzin_g1
Cool Instrument to check coating thickness of Thermal Barrier Coatings odski0317 5 17,699 12-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Last Post: dienngothe
  About Thermal Barrier Coating Porosity Amanda 3 9,591 04-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Gordon