Material Required Calculation Help
11-14-2018, 06:06 PM,
Material Required Calculation Help
Hi

I am wondering if you can help me understand the below equation quoted on dura metal website

Quantity of Material Required:
Coverage Rate = Kg / Sq.M / 100 microns
Quantity = Coverage x Area x Thickness / 100 microns
+ 15% (or similar) = Allowance for overspray

From what I can understand coverage rate refers to the rate of spray Kg/h. Where as area is area of workpiece and thickness is how thick the same workpiece. I.e in a metal shaft area of the circle x length of the shaft?

Finally you have it over 100 microns. Should this be converted to mm i.e 1mm or remain divided as 100.

Thank you for any help

Kind Regards
Connor
11-18-2018, 06:49 PM,
RE: Material Required Calculation Help
(11-14-2018, 06:06 PM)connoramcguigan Wrote: Hi

I am wondering if you can help me understand the below equation quoted on dura metal website

From what I can understand coverage rate refers to the rate of spray Kg/h. Where as area is area of workpiece and thickness is how thick the same workpiece. I.e in a metal shaft area of the circle x length of the shaft?

Finally you have it over 100 microns. Should this be converted to mm i.e 1mm or remain divided as 100.

Thank you for any help

Kind Regards
Connor

Theres nothing in the equation about time, so if you write kg/h and by h you mean hour - thats not the case.
Coverage rate is the amout of material in kg you would need to coat a square meter of substrate with 100microns of thickness.

So if you need to know how much material you will consume for your job you multiply covaregage rate by area in square meters multiply by thickness you want to coat in microns and divide the result by hundred. You get the value of projected consumption in Kg +-15%

Thats how i understand it from your post.
11-20-2018, 02:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-20-2018, 02:05 PM by connoramcguigan.)
(11-18-2018, 06:49 PM)sprayloud Wrote:

Thank you for any help

Kind Regards
Connor

Theres nothing in the equation about time, so if you write kg/h and by h you mean hour - thats not the case.
Coverage rate is the amout of material in kg you would need to coat a square meter of substrate with 100microns of thickness.

So if you need to know how much material you will consume for your job you multiply covaregage rate by area in square meters multiply by thickness you want to coat in microns and divide the result by hundred. You get the value of projected consumption in Kg +-15%

Ok that makes more sense but I am struggling to find out how to determine the coverage rate now. Can you suggest anything?
11-21-2018, 09:43 PM,
(11-20-2018, 02:04 PM)connoramcguigan Wrote:
(11-18-2018, 06:49 PM)sprayloud Wrote:

Thank you for any help

Kind Regards
Connor

Ok that makes more sense but I am struggling to find out how to determine the coverage rate now. Can you suggest anything?

To my understanding coverage rate should be a constant provided by material producer for specific material and specific equipement.
Like in this googled example for paint: https://technicalpaintservices.co.uk/pag...d-rates/90

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Required Material for Spray demionkrishan 3 3,196 09-12-2022, 09:29 AM
Last Post: Coatingmate_Thomas
Rolleyes Stoichiometry of Kerosene&Oxygen Calculation ! tobjung 0 1,139 09-04-2022, 05:43 PM
Last Post: tobjung
  Robot speed & RL turn table calculation demionkrishan 9 11,086 05-12-2020, 07:32 PM
Last Post: Lemster68
  HVOF Undercut Calculation Carguy1968 1 2,228 07-12-2018, 04:11 PM
Last Post: Lemster68
  Calculating Required Powder for Coating Mud rotors demionkrishan 5 3,858 06-26-2018, 02:36 PM
Last Post: sprayloud
  F4 Gun Process Parameters required for Metco 2043 Powder sreenuvundela 1 7,644 01-16-2014, 11:02 PM
Last Post: loriolo
Sad Stoichiometric ratio calculation for JP 5000 Lalit 3 6,917 06-13-2013, 07:33 PM
Last Post: Intel55