Need Help selecting Correct Coating Material
09-28-2016, 03:27 PM,
Need Help selecting Correct Coating Material
Hi,

i need help in selecting the correct coating material for our application.

We want to apply a ceramic coating on Vehicle Exhausts by Plasma Spraying.

The actual mechanic attributes of the coating are not important, as we do the coating only for aesthetics.

Important points are only:

- The coating needs to be dark grey-black. The darker the better
- The coating needs to be heat resistant. Our exhausts are usually at around 400 degrees Celcius, but can reach up to 800 degrees for a short time.
- The coating needs to be ready "as sprayed". Due to the shape and tolerances in shape/size of our exhausts, it's not feasible to grind/polish the coating after it has been applied also application of a sealer is not an option.

The manufacturer of our Plasma Spray equipment suggested us a ceramic 60% Aluminium Oxide 40% Titanium Dioxide

We tested it and we're very happy with the surface quality/roughness as well as with it's heat resistance.
The only problem is that this material is rather light gray/blueish, we can not accept the color.

I would greatly appreciate suggestions for other possible coating materials which we could try.

With best regards
Fraser
09-28-2016, 06:19 PM,
RE: Need Help selecting Correct Coating Material
(09-28-2016, 03:27 PM)gsfraser Wrote: Hi,

i need help in selecting the correct coating material for our application.

We want to apply a ceramic coating on Vehicle Exhausts by Plasma Spraying.

The actual mechanic attributes of the coating are not important, as we do the coating only for aesthetics.

Important points are only:

- The coating needs to be dark grey-black. The darker the better
- The coating needs to be heat resistant. Our exhausts are usually at around 400 degrees Celcius, but can reach up to 800 degrees for a short time.
- The coating needs to be ready "as sprayed". Due to the shape and tolerances in shape/size of our exhausts, it's not feasible to grind/polish the coating after it has been applied also application of a sealer is not an option.

The manufacturer of our Plasma Spray equipment suggested us a ceramic 60% Aluminium Oxide 40% Titanium Dioxide

We tested it and we're very happy with the surface quality/roughness as well as with it's heat resistance.
The only problem is that this material is rather light gray/blueish, we can not accept the color.

I would greatly appreciate suggestions for other possible coating materials which we could try.

With best regards
Fraser

Hi gsfraser,
You can add a bit of fine-grained chromium oxide (about 5-10%) to Al2O3-TiO2. Even small additions of cobalt oxide or copper oxide make the layer black.

Regards
Vadim
09-30-2016, 12:37 PM,
Hi GSFRASER

Try with FST C-338.25 which si a fused 87/13 Al2O3-TiO2 powder, maybe you are using a blended material or do you use wrong parameters, because with this powder I obtain a very dark black colour, the same color i obtained with C.342.25 Al2O3-TiO2.

Best regards
Luigi
09-30-2016, 12:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-30-2016, 12:57 PM by sprayloud.)
What about chromium oxide ? Its really dark, though might be greenish, i'm not sure.
(link dead)
10-02-2016, 10:57 AM,
hi Corund

Yes you are right, chromium oxide is dark green, and some kind of chromium oxide could be light black colour
Best regards
Luigi
10-02-2016, 02:59 PM,
Hello Everybody,

i greatly appreciate your answers and suggestions.

We contacted our Local Ceramic supplier and they'll mixture us next week an Al2O3-TiO2-CRO Blend, which is supposed to be dark black as sprayed.

I'll report back once we tested it.

CR2O3 is the green Chromium(III) Oxide, CRO is Chromium (II) Oxide, which is black.

Best regards
Gsfraser
10-10-2016, 08:40 PM,
Question  RE: Need Help selecting Correct Coating Material
I'm very interested in this topic as well.
Is it possible to obtain colored TBC (YPSZ) for aesthetic purpose by any mean? For example blu or orange....

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video Repair of base material defect after HVOF Coating Pranab_hvof 2 4,605 06-27-2022, 12:20 PM
Last Post: sushil1405
  Defect Missing Material and Coating Failure achmadarifudinh 2 3,421 02-12-2018, 05:47 AM
Last Post: achmadarifudinh
  Coating material kim jong hun 4 5,055 06-28-2016, 01:32 AM
Last Post: kim jong hun
  What is the Correct Test Method for Case Hardened Steel dunlaw 7 56,813 10-27-2012, 12:55 AM
Last Post: Gordon
Question What is the correct EN standard for the Tensile Testing of 18CrNiMo7-6? Anand Trivedi 0 3,926 10-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Last Post: Anand Trivedi
  Need help to suggest coating material operator 5 6,692 12-28-2011, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Guna