about induction cladding
03-03-2011, 08:40 AM,
Question  about induction cladding
who can tell me something about induction clading.dose it better than other process such as palama spray,lazer clading and so on.
03-03-2011, 06:03 PM,
RE: about induction cladding
Hi littlejialei

Sign0016 to the Surface Engineering Forum.

I am unclear about what induction cladding really means.

Induction heating as a post process to cure/fuse pre-placed coatings - alternative means of heating to flame, furnace, plasma, laser etc.. Induction fusing of NiCrBSi coatings.

Induction heating as a source of heat in the actual coating process - induction generated plasma - induction heating/melting of coating feed stock or induction pre-heating/post-heating during coating process - induction assisted laser cladding.

I think we need to know more information on the specific form of "induction cladding" that you are interested in before we can comment on whether it is better or not compared to other processes.
03-11-2011, 11:58 AM,
(03-03-2011, 06:03 PM)Gordon Wrote: Hi littlejialei

Induction heating as a post process to cure/fuse pre-placed coatings - alternative means of heating to flame, furnace, plasma, laser etc.. Induction fusing of NiCrBSi coatings.

Induction heating as a source of heat in the actual coating process - induction generated plasma - induction heating/melting of coating feed stock or induction pre-heating/post-heating during coating process - induction assisted laser cladding.

I think we need to know more information on the specific form of "induction cladding" that you are interested in before we can comment on whether it is better or not compared to other processes.

thanks very much for your apply, induction heating is not induction cladding , what i said is a process ,which the work piece is pre-coated with metal powder, then melt powder directly with induction coils.
03-11-2011, 09:15 PM,
Might help if we knew what configuration the work piece is ..round,flat ect.. and wht the substrate is as well as the powder type you would like to bond on , what you have described sounds like powder coating where you use static charge to attract the powder prior to the heat cycle.
03-11-2011, 10:28 PM,
As well as the melting temperature is criticall for this applications, and the temperature range for the fusion is very short, and change from one piece to another, so to melt the coating after spray, the best way is to do it by hand, exsept if porosity and hardness is not an important issue, in this case you can melt the coating by induction eating or using an furnace.
Best regards
Luigi
03-12-2011, 01:50 AM,
Hi littlejialei

(03-11-2011, 11:58 AM)littlejialei Wrote:
(03-03-2011, 06:03 PM)Gordon Wrote: Hi littlejialei

thanks very much for your apply, induction heating is not induction cladding , what i said is a process ,which the work piece is pre-coated with metal powder, then melt powder directly with induction coils.

Pretty much as I said "Induction heating as a post process to cure/fuse pre-placed coatings - alternative means of heating to flame, furnace, plasma, laser etc.. Induction fusing of NiCrBSi coatings". I think I'd prefer the term induction fusing.

How do you pre-coat with metal powder? Is it applied as a slurry/paste bound with some kind of carrier, or thermally sprayed or other method?

Nature of substrate and coating - materials, shape, size, coating thickness?

Advantages of induction heating will be possibility of extremely high heating rates, precision placement of heat effected zone and the fact heat is generated internally within body of substrate and coating i.e. it does not require heat transfer via radiation, convection or conduction as used in many of the other processes. Ideal for automated high production processing of simple geometric shaped parts.

On the negative side - high investment for induction heating equipment, different inductors/induction coils will be required for different shape/size parts. High development effort/cost in design/development/testing inductors. Not suited to complex shapes.

As to the question, does it do it better than other processes? - well yes and no, lots of ifs and buts Big Grin No process is better than another generically, they will all excel in particular applications that they are suited. If you want to produce thousands of the same parts of the nature of say simple shafts with fused coatings, then induction fusing/cladding could be hard to beat.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mechanical cladding Artyom 0 1,751 02-27-2019, 08:18 AM
Last Post: Artyom
  Laser cladding plungers Arturas 2 4,159 09-24-2016, 09:49 AM
Last Post: Vadim Verlotski
  HVOF coating over Induction Hardened surface shantanu 1 3,921 01-30-2015, 08:17 PM
Last Post: djewell
  Technical Characteristics of Rich Laser Cladding Technology lijianping 0 3,176 05-17-2014, 06:15 AM
Last Post: lijianping
  Features of laser cladding lijianping 0 3,004 05-14-2014, 09:15 AM
  Laser metal cladding rechnology lijianping 0 3,976 05-14-2014, 09:01 AM
  Laser Cladding onto 17-4 PH Grayso 4 7,936 03-01-2014, 11:09 AM
Last Post: makankp
  induction vs flame preheating divanis 7 10,327 05-13-2011, 05:18 AM
Last Post: jasonpbond
  Laser Cladding Stellite#6 Kedarnath 6 19,635 02-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Nick4u1
  Flame hardening VS induction hardening VS laser transformation hardening melrose 3 25,285 06-15-2008, 02:21 AM
Last Post: guru2707