Steel Mill aplication
07-22-2010, 09:53 AM,
Steel Mill aplication
Does anyone have experiences in HVOF or Arc spray in steel mills? Especially the steel rolls. So far, I am familiar with cladding/hardfacing using welding, but I saw in Metco website that they also serve the steel mill rolls.

Regards,
Arlen
07-22-2010, 12:25 PM,
RE: Steel Mill aplication
There are tons of different rolls in steel mills, especially if you are talking about an integrated mill. I do not have a lot of experience with it, but aside from just cladding and hardfacing the Hot Mill will occasionally look for slip resistance on a roll. Coating and finishing lines (tin, galv., etc.) have rolls that they may coat for either corrosion resistance or to alter conductivity. Some of the shops that do traditional welding and grinding repair for the integrated mills here in Detroit have picked up various thermal spray technologies over the years, but generally speaking they usually aren't promoting the technology, just making sure that if someone asks they can complete the project.
07-23-2010, 03:23 AM,
Hi Arlen, there are indeed many applications in the steel industry, as shown on the SM website, or as mentioned by MichiganMan above. However since most of the rolls are very large, and critical to the performance and uptime of the steel mill, I would be very careful in approaching this type of industry. First the job shop must have the needed infrastructure, meaning crane, grinding machines, and of course coating equipment. (thats the hardware) Then the customer would need the software, meaning the know how and training of how to select the material, and apply it to the component, or roll in the steel mill
07-23-2010, 10:33 AM,
[quote='arlen.nurlan' pid='4696' dateline='1279788786']
Does anyone have experiences in HVOF or Arc spray in steel mills? Especially the steel rolls. So far, I am familiar with cladding/hardfacing using welding, but I saw in Metco website that they also serve the steel mill rolls.

Metallizing Equipments Co Pvt. Ltd., India - +91-291-2747601/02, have done few of the steel mill rolls in workshop.
Regards,
Jaydev Choudhary
07-29-2010, 02:29 AM,
Thanks for the response guys.

Indeed SM has put the Steel Mill applications on their website as Stephen said. But internally it seems that they either don't really care, or don't know or just keeping something for themselves. It looks like that the traditional welding method is still unbeatable in the steel and metal sectors.

Stephen, you are definitely right about the hardwares and basic facilities, as some rolls could goes up to 3 tons or more, just one roll. Imagine if it comes in segments.

Javdev, what kind rolls have you done? I hope not just the neck area. I'm talking about the body of the rolls.

Regards,
Arlen
07-29-2010, 05:47 AM,
Javdev, what kind rolls have you done? I hope not just the neck area. I'm talking about the body of the rolls.

Not only neck area we have done complete roll body throughout its length, our specialized job handling arrangements are capable of doing heavy weight rolls with ease of applications.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Pencil Ball Mill Shaft- Journal Bearing Area HVOF Coating Issue tobjung 0 745 02-02-2023, 06:44 PM
Last Post: tobjung
  Surface hardening [steel + steel alloys] haggis 1 3,682 07-09-2017, 12:42 PM
Last Post: plasmajet1990
  Tinning mill rolls shantanu 1 3,213 03-23-2013, 07:45 PM
Last Post: loriolo
  Babbitt Cement Mill Bearings Bagri 3 8,891 04-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Last Post: Vijay Deshpande
  Heavy plate mill roll Arturas 2 7,320 04-12-2008, 03:45 AM
Last Post: Stephen Booth
  Hot Rolling Mill Rolls Vijay Deshpande 3 8,274 02-20-2007, 09:33 PM
Last Post: bhellman