Plasma jet design
11-09-2011, 12:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-09-2011, 12:35 PM by Adam_G.)
Plasma jet design
Hi all,

I am an engineering student and was hoping some of you may be able to help me with my final year project;

"Simulation of nozzle flows with external unsteady energy supply"

The description given was;

"The project is related to simulation of internal flows of compressible fluid with the external unsteady (time-dependent) energy supply.
These flows take place in modern energy systems, e.g. plasmatrons (sources of low-temperature plasma). The aim of the project is to choose optimal parameters of energy supply (energy, place etc).
The simulation will involve development and optimisation of existing CFD code based on finite volume techniques and high resolution difference schemes, and written in Matlab.
The simulation will cover different flow regimes (from subsonic to supersonic with the formation of shock waves in nozzle) and different ways of energy supply."

I'm currently looking for any suggestions on background reading such as papers, books or websites that may cover this area.

Very little has been supplied to me so far from my supervisor, I have loads of matlab code that he developed, but it contains no comments and has over 40 variables and several different solver schemes.

It has occoured to me that "opitmal paramiters" are application specific and hence asking for help on here, I'm hoping some of you can give me a good idea of what is necassary for a good quality plasma jet in referance to suface treatment.

Regards,

Adam.
11-10-2011, 04:08 AM,
RE: Plasma jet design
Hi Adam

Sign0016 to the Surface Engineering Forum.

I don't think I can really help you on this one, hopefully someone else can.

(11-09-2011, 12:08 PM)Adam_G Wrote: Hi all,

I am an engineering student and was hoping some of you may be able to help me with my final year project;

"Simulation of nozzle flows with external unsteady energy supply"

The description given was;

"The project is related to simulation of internal flows of compressible fluid with the external unsteady (time-dependent) energy supply.
These flows take place in modern energy systems, e.g. plasmatrons (sources of low-temperature plasma). The aim of the project is to choose optimal parameters of energy supply (energy, place etc).
The simulation will involve development and optimisation of existing CFD code based on finite volume techniques and high resolution difference schemes, and written in Matlab.
The simulation will cover different flow regimes (from subsonic to supersonic with the formation of shock waves in nozzle) and different ways of energy supply."

I'm currently looking for any suggestions on background reading such as papers, books or websites that may cover this area.

Very little has been supplied to me so far from my supervisor, I have loads of matlab code that he developed, but it contains no comments and has over 40 variables and several different solver schemes.

It has occoured to me that "opitmal paramiters" are application specific and hence asking for help on here, I'm hoping some of you can give me a good idea of what is necassary for a good quality plasma jet in referance to suface treatment.

Regards,

Adam.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Copper Contact to Gold Surface Design Question gpalermo 2 9,945 04-21-2008, 03:28 PM
Last Post: Gordon