etching graphite..
07-23-2008, 09:24 AM,
etching graphite..
what is an effective etchant to etch graphite? i wan to remove the graphite from substrates. if any, what would be useful for etching graphite? thanks.....
07-23-2008, 01:08 PM,
RE: etching graphite..
Hi Hungz

Sign0016 to the Surface Engineering Forum.

We really need more information on what you are trying to do. What is the substrate material? The nature of the graphite coating? Is it important that the substrate is not effected by process? (If not to what degree?)...

I would consider mechanical means first. Blasting, brushing, polishing, perhaps aided by washing.

Burning graphite from surface if heating substrate is not a problem.

Wet chemical etching reagents will probably need to be highly oxidising, concentrated and used hot. Possibly nitric acid. Trouble is your substrate may be more likely to be attacked than the graphite. If you don't mind losing some substrate then ok, but then you would probably be better off just machining it off.
07-25-2008, 01:13 PM,
Hi Hungz,

We use 120 ali oxide grit, 50:50 nitric acid and machining to remove graphite. A solution called Enstrip L90 can be used but I've not had cause to try it.

If the graphite is on a paper substrate you could use a rubber (eraser) Smile

Cheers
Jim
07-25-2008, 05:32 PM,
Quote:If the graphite is on a paper substrate you could use a rubber (eraser) Smile

Happy0193 Happy0193 I like that one Happy0193.

Seriously, it does highlight the need for more information in the original question.
10-08-2010, 12:04 PM,
you can try wiki or google to find more answers. meanwhile, it's been amazing since the discovery of graphene! I grow more and more curious the more I read articles about it especially today that many studies about it have been done already. but we will still have to wait for good products made out of it. Graphene is ultra-thin, uncommonly powerful, and heat and electricity conduct through it with less resistance than any material that exists. For discovering graphene, a pair of Russian physicists have achieved fame and fortune. They get to divide the $1.4 million check that comes with the 2010 Nobel Prize in Physics. Physics labs worldwide are experimenting with graphene in ways that may result in unprecedented technological leaps in computers, televisions and exotic new components.
06-21-2018, 12:04 PM,
(10-08-2010, 12:04 PM)KaylaF Wrote: you can try wiki or google to find more answers. meanwhile, it's been amazing since the discovery of graphene! I grow more and more curious the more I read articles about it especially today that many studies about it have been done already. but we will still have to wait for good products made out of it. Graphene is ultra-thin, uncommonly powerful, and heat and electricity conduct through it with less resistance than any material that exists. For discovering graphene, a pair of Russian physicists have achieved fame and fortune. They get to divide the $1.4 million check that comes with the 2010 Nobel Prize in Physics. Physics labs worldwide are experimenting with graphene in ways that may result in unprecedented technological leaps in computers, televisions and exotic new components.

Graphene (and other nanomaterials) are really endless source of interesting inventions. What makes this development really awesome is that the industry has already moved from laboratory and theoretical experiments. There are whole companies dedicated to produce these materials in mass so wide range of industries can toy with it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb graphite arif 0 2,723 06-15-2016, 09:50 AM
Last Post: arif
  SiC coating on graphite snowdrop 4 8,245 07-26-2012, 04:08 PM
Last Post: snowdrop
  electroplating Graphite nicamarvin 3 13,708 04-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Last Post: nicamarvin
  [split] Can plasma coat graphite on copper? hanker886 1 6,482 10-10-2008, 06:43 PM
Last Post: Gordon
Question Mg, Si, graphite based abradable coatings wasif 1 5,224 05-30-2008, 04:42 PM
Last Post: ThermalMan
Rolleyes Etching solution for T800 Phdstudent 2 7,337 04-15-2008, 04:31 PM
Last Post: Phdstudent
  Ceramic coating on graphite plates ravi_n59 3 9,718 01-21-2008, 04:29 PM
Last Post: ravi_n59
  hard AlSi-graphite abradable coating fhyuan 5 13,028 07-18-2007, 09:28 PM
Last Post: Gordon