rubber/steel friction..traction
11-30-2009, 03:15 PM,
rubber/steel friction..traction
help...we are a small engineering company making go karts that will be running on a steel track...except that they dont! virtually no traction/grip with even soft compound tyres, may be part of the problem is that the steel track is always cold...and so are the tyres...also the tyres seem to be shedding a fine dust that also act as sliders...so the result is very slidy and no traction...we are thinking of bonding some type of ployuethene to the tyre to give better traction???

oh and we cant make the surface of the steel rough either, so it is pretty smooth...SadSad

any ideas? any experience?

thanks in advance..

morgan
12-01-2009, 06:12 PM,
RE: rubber/steel friction..traction
Hi Morgan

Sign0016 to the Surface Engineering Forum.

I'm no real expert on the tyre side Sad but I think the only way to get significant traction/adhesion will be by treating the steel track surface.
12-02-2009, 04:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-02-2009, 04:58 PM by SimonH.)
Good afternoon Morgan,

A possible solution would be to arc spray a traction coating onto the steel. Using an arc spray system with a special nozzle an applicator can apply a rough steel coating onto your existing surface to give grip - this is the sort of thing that you might see on the brake testing rollers when you take your car for an MOT. If you want to contact me I can point you in the direction of a couple of companies capable of giving you some cost estimates.

Best regards
Simon Hiiemae
Sulzer Metco (UK) Ltd
01633 488 091
emailaddressisSimon.Hiiemae@Sulzer.com
12-03-2009, 11:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-03-2009, 11:16 AM by morgan.)
(12-02-2009, 04:58 PM)SimonH Wrote: Good afternoon Morgan,

A possible solution would be to arc spray a traction coating onto the steel. Using an arc spray system with a special nozzle an applicator can apply a rough steel coating onto your existing surface to give grip - this is the sort of thing that you might see on the brake testing rollers when you take your car for an MOT. If you want to contact me I can point you in the direction of a couple of companies capable of giving you some cost estimates.

Best regards

ok thanks for that...sorry i should have given a bit more info...we cannot really do much with the steel track as it carries the electric supply to the go karts...which pick it up using brushes directly from the track...if the surface of the track is 'roughed up' the the brushes wear out!
and its a very large expanse of steel...hundreds of sqaure meters...

we are looking at bonding differeing polymers to an existing rubber go kart tyre to see if we can can get both better traction and also prevent shedding of the rubber which produces a very fine dust, it is this that we believe is one of the reasons we have no traction...and also temperature...the tyres never heat up as the steel track acts as a huge haet heat sink..

heh ho..

back to the drawing board

robin...
12-15-2009, 10:47 PM,
(12-03-2009, 11:09 AM)morgan Wrote: ok thanks for that...sorry i should have given a bit more info...we cannot really do much with the steel track as it carries the electric supply to the go karts...which pick it up using brushes directly from the track...if the surface of the track is 'roughed up' the the brushes wear out!
and its a very large expanse of steel...hundreds of sqaure meters...

we are looking at bonding differeing polymers to an existing rubber go kart tyre to see if we can can get both better traction and also prevent shedding of the rubber which produces a very fine dust, it is this that we believe is one of the reasons we have no traction...and also temperature...the tyres never heat up as the steel track acts as a huge haet heat sink..

heh ho..

back to the drawing board

robin...

Bicycle brakes have the same requirements. Try contacting some of the smaller brake manufacturers and ask them about formulations of durable, high friction elastomers to use on your tires. It could be a very easy project for them.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Silicone rubber masking ArjunAnnam 2 251 02-09-2024, 09:47 PM
Last Post: Lars.Patrick
  anti-adhesive, low friction coating teresa.rodriguez 5 4,353 07-17-2017, 07:59 PM
Last Post: plasmajet1990
  Surface hardening [steel + steel alloys] haggis 1 3,681 07-09-2017, 12:42 PM
Last Post: plasmajet1990
  Friction and Wear Testing OptiEng 1 4,803 11-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Gordon
  friction properties Arturas 4 9,044 09-19-2009, 07:55 AM
Last Post: drramc
  Surface treatement for high-friction interface with human hair davidHMC 2 5,998 06-22-2009, 07:47 PM
  Friction Weld guru2707 2 5,576 07-20-2008, 08:22 AM
Last Post: drramc
  Steel-Rubber friction droletk 3 33,037 05-26-2008, 04:22 PM
  Friction coefficient for painted steel sanjuan 1 54,951 08-24-2006, 05:08 PM