Limitation of operator age
07-25-2009, 04:57 AM,
Limitation of operator age
Hi Gordon and All,

Is there any limitation of operator age for conducting thermal spraying process?
How much is it?
Please share!
07-25-2009, 11:31 AM,
RE: Limitation of operator age
(07-25-2009, 04:57 AM)ahmadsahid Wrote: Hi Gordon and All,

Is there any limitation of operator age for conducting thermal spraying process?
How much is it?
Please share!

Hi ahmadshahid,

as long as one can perform well on his bed, he can operate thermal spray systemsHappy0193
07-25-2009, 03:29 PM,
Hi ahmadshahid

I think there should not be any age restriction - as long as person is able and competant to do task well.

There is no doubt age related restrictions are applied by some employers, governments, society etc. dependending on where in the world you live.
07-28-2009, 02:10 PM,
(07-25-2009, 03:29 PM)Gordon Wrote: Hi ahmadshahid

I think there should not be any age restriction - as long as person is able and competant to do task well.

There is no doubt age related restrictions are applied by some employers, governments, society etc. dependending on where in the world you live.

OK, it is logic answer. But my recent case is a part that always success to be repaired, now fail (peel off) up to 3 times. I think the age of operator, related with performance, effects the quality of coating result. His age is 50 years.
If the condition doesn't affect anything, may be I have to evaluate all step of process.
Thank you.
07-28-2009, 10:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-29-2009, 09:12 AM by LEN WOOD.)
There are (as with everything) always exceptions to the rule. So long as the operator is of no danger to himself or others, can hold his own as far as production and parts handling/loading; can obtain/maintain desired quality of application and meet the required expectation/specifications then I see no age limit. However the use of new technology (change) can become an issue.

Obviously ones brain function and faculties deteriorate with age. Information (rightly or wrongly) gets 'defragged' and re-assimilated and is not necessarily bundled or located truly or relatively. Neurons � use �em or lose �em!

If you are running a Multi/Unicoat type system then most process aspects are pretty much taken care. Conversely on other 'more manual' systems the operator may forget to air clean the job after blast; to preheat, turn on/off cooling air and may even omit the bond coat! While these mistakes can be committed by all they are more likely with senior technicians. There must however be some ideal and optimum value based on age and experience, a ratio or formula of sorts?

As a thermal Spray technician you are really only as good as your last mistake!

This is where the Metallurgical assessment and Thermal Spray systems with recordability/accountability/traceability are worth their weight in Platinum!

The age of suppliers, coating specification writers and Supervision also raises many concerns? I do enjoy flying!!!

The ideal scenario would be to have our valued/respected/appreciated veterans do more preparation type work but be on hand to guide the less experienced in the Art of the Force. A Yoda type role but with less access to the Light saber!

Cheers
08-08-2009, 05:39 PM,
Yes, there is no doubt that age in general will effect ones abilities. Though, not always in negative ways. Experience and skills are gained with age normally. I still feel strongly that an individual person should be judged on his/her abilities and not purely on age.

Quote:I think the age of operator, related with performance, effects the quality of coating result. His age is 50 years.
Quote:A Yoda type role but with less access to the Light saber!
Quote:as long as one can perform well on his bed, he can operate thermal spray systems

Don't take all the fun out of life for us over fifties Toungue Happy0193 Now where was I, short term memory not what it used to be Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coating operator qualification christhanah274 1 2,283 04-24-2020, 02:03 PM
Last Post: Lemster68
  Coating operator qualification achmadarifudinh 0 1,987 09-14-2017, 04:53 AM
Last Post: achmadarifudinh
  Abradable Coating Thickness limitation wasif 1 4,270 07-28-2015, 10:57 PM
Last Post: Johnny_Blaze