underlayer for 13Cr coating
07-17-2009, 06:07 AM,
underlayer for 13Cr coating
Hello ,
I need suggestion . Is it necessary to spray a bonding underlayer :Al/Ni or molybdenum, between the surface of base metal(carbon steel) and main stainless steel coating (13Cr HRC 40) We use Top Jet 2 gun . Cool
and what is your opinions - can stainless steel coating work in pair with babbit
Best regards
Arturas
07-17-2009, 01:06 PM,
RE: underlayer for 13Cr coating
Hi Arturas

I would recommend using a NiAl bond coat. You could spray onto a well prepared substrate without a bond coat, but the coating would be less secure.

A good 13Cr steel coating should work well with babbit, bearing Rolleyes in mind any surface finish and sealing requirements.
07-20-2009, 07:00 AM,
Thank You for all advices Shy
I would like to discuss about NiAl bond coat . sometimes we have to spray few milimeters of 13Cr coating and I feel concern about good adhesion. Does the bond coat thickness make any influence to base coating adhesion? Maybe it is possible by changing NiAl thickness to reduce possibility of coating delamination and in general what NiAl bond coat thickness must be Cool
Also You wrote that sealing must be done for 13Cr coating. Coating porosity will secure oil in pores and sealing..... why we should do it?

Arturas

(07-17-2009, 01:06 PM)Gordon Wrote: Hi Arturas

I would recommend using a NiAl bond coat. You could spray onto a well prepared substrate without a bond coat, but the coating would be less secure.

A good 13Cr steel coating should work well with babbit, bearing Rolleyes in mind any surface finish and sealing requirements.
07-21-2009, 02:44 PM,
Hi Arturas

Bond coat thickness ~ 0.1 - 0.15 mm (0.004-0.006") for optimum bond. 13Cr steel top coats are normally low shrink, low stressed, high thickness capable coatings - so little point building up bond coat as a thick buffer layer. In fact 13Cr steel is often used as an intermediate buffer layer (extension layer) for more highly stress coatings like austenitic stainless steel 316 type coatings and others that have limited thickness capability.

Quote:Also You wrote that sealing must be done for 13Cr coating. Coating porosity will secure oil in pores and sealing..... why we should do it?

I did not say "must be done". In some applications like crankshaft journals sealing is said to be important for maintaining oil film pressure and reducing hydraulic jacking stresses within the coating. In other less stressed conditions I would tend to agree that not sealing may be beneficial.
10-05-2009, 05:21 AM,
I did not say "must be done". In some applications like crankshaft journals sealing is said to be important for advancement oil blur burden and abbreviation hydraulic jacking stresses aural the coating. In added beneath fatigued altitude I would tend to accede that not sealing may be beneficial.

[Sign0014 member banned]
10-05-2009, 10:54 AM,
Venus143,

There is an apt name for you that rhymes with Venus!

WE DON'T WANT YOUR SPAM!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  grit Blasting 13cr steel hibberd 3 6,727 04-14-2010, 07:51 PM
Last Post: Gordon