machine of plasma coating
06-11-2009, 03:09 PM,
machine of plasma coating
Hello ,Everybody
Is it possible to turing the plasma coating sprayed with powder metco68F-NS although grinding is preferred?
How to determine the machine mode of plasma coating?Hardness is foremost factor?
Is it must to check the surface roughness after machine the coating?
Thanks a lot!
06-11-2009, 03:59 PM,
RE: machine of plasma coating
Hi Joanwang

Metco 68F-NS I suspect would be extremely tough to machine using single point turning . I won't say its not possible, as I have seen people turning very hard coatings with special tooling. Surface finish is likely to be poor and there will be increased risk of coating damage and delamination.
06-15-2009, 08:25 PM,
Hi Joanwang,

I can't comment on 68F as I've not had chance to use it yet but we generally machine our APS coatings. With the ceramics its a case of very light feeds and taking your time. We have some tips which will cut some pretty hard materials and the tip supplier should be helpful in finding the right tool.
The required surface finish is really down to the application but you can use wet & dry and emery paper on most thingsSmile
Jim
08-04-2009, 05:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-04-2009, 05:08 PM by Alexangel1226.)
Joanwong,

we machine 68F-NS-1 coating. Well it's the T800 coaitng anyways.
Single point cutting is good enough wiht light feed e.g 0.001" to 0.0015" per cut. Slow RPM depending on your work piece size and a diamond or carbide cutter is able to produce a nice work piece.
Surface profile after cut does not need any requirement, generally should exemplify good shining surface and overall good coating integrity. Tips to determine a good or bad coating as you machine.
Good coating you will see the blur curling up continously without breaking, vice versa, bad coating seeing broken or powder like debris during cutting.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Alexangel1226