general characteristics of TS coating
04-24-2010, 04:51 AM,
general characteristics of TS coating
hi, i want to know that what is maximum thickness of coating possible with thermal spray process. and what is maximum temperature any thermally sprayed substrate can withhold?
jaydev Choudhary
04-24-2010, 09:08 AM,
RE: general characteristics of TS coating
My thinking is no-limitation for the thickness but bonding strength will less stronger than the thinner one also depending upon coating material, if it is ceramic will suggest maximun 600 micron, if ceramic too thick in coating become any risks for cracking.
Every substrates can withold up to its melting temperature, right, aluminum can melts in 660 deg.C, steel around 1500 deg.C etc., if it is cold process maximum temperature in substrated is 170 deg.C
Thanks & Regards,
Iwan Sedaryawan - Website : https://www.ciptaagung.com
Happy0193
04-25-2010, 03:32 PM,
Hi Jaydev Choudhary

Quote:i want to know that what is maximum thickness of coating possible with thermal spray process

I have seen coatings up to about 75mm (3 inch) thick. These were purely curiosity/artistic with no real practical application.

Depending on spray material, substrate, process characteristics - coating thickness limitations can vary widely from about 0.25mm up to an unknown limit.

Quote:what is maximum temperature any thermally sprayed substrate can withhold?

Can you be a bit more specific with your question? are we talking about coating process temperatures or service temperatures?

Its a bit like being asked how long is a piece of string Smile
04-26-2010, 05:11 AM,
i mean service temperature?

please also suggest me if i have to choose a spraying gun for coating a Pick up roll used in paper manufacturing. this roll is made of steel and it is partially submerged in a pan filled with paint. As it moves it feeds with paint the nip between this and applicator roll. this roll separates the wet sheet from the fourdrinier; located between the couch roll and the wire turning roll on the sheet side of the wire; has internal suction and is covered by a continuous felt that provides a convenient and reliable method of transferring the wet sheet to the press section. which gun i must choose. as alternatives i have plasma and HVOF guns.
also suggest me which coating material to choose for this coating process. as this roll is subject of corrosion & wear. surface should have easy releasing property.

thanks.

jaydev choudhary

(04-25-2010, 03:32 PM)Gordon Wrote: Hi Jaydev Choudhary

Quote:i want to know that what is maximum thickness of coating possible with thermal spray process

I have seen coatings up to about 75mm (3 inch) thick. These were purely curiosity/artistic with no real practical application.

Depending on spray material, substrate, process characteristics - coating thickness limitations can vary widely from about 0.25mm up to an unknown limit.

Quote:what is maximum temperature any thermally sprayed substrate can withhold?

Can you be a bit more specific with your question? are we talking about coating process temperatures or service temperatures?

Its a bit like being asked how long is a piece of string Smile
04-27-2010, 08:22 AM,
With increasing coating thickness,there is stress build up and some of the ealier work showed that the compressive stress in the coating can change over to tensile with coating thickness over 3mm.
Is ithe application is for a paper roll or printing roll?
ram chattopadhyay
04-28-2010, 06:17 AM,
(04-27-2010, 08:22 AM)drramc Wrote: With increasing coating thickness,there is stress build up and some of the ealier work showed that the compressive stress in the coating can change over to tensile with coating thickness over 3mm.
Is ithe application is for a paper roll or printing roll?
ram chattopadhyay

yes this is for coating of rolls in paper manufacturing industry.
04-28-2010, 07:28 AM,
More details of paint media in which the roll is submersed are required before someone can suggest the suitable coating material.How different is this roll from the Yankee dryer?
ram chattopadhyay
04-29-2010, 05:51 AM,
(04-28-2010, 07:28 AM)drramc Wrote: More details of paint media in which the roll is submersed are required before someone can suggest the suitable coating material.How different is this roll from the Yankee dryer?
ram chattopadhyay

yankee drier roll operates under somewhat higher temperature and its function is to dry the paper web but pick up roll i am talking about comes before yankee drier roll in paper machinery arrangement. and its function is to pick up the wet paper web from the wire mesh just after couch roll.
after this wet paper web travels alone without support of any wire underneath.
04-30-2010, 08:26 AM,
Dear Jaydev,
Please check with your earlier thread where I have suggested few steps to become successful in this area of busniness.I have helped quite a few new entrants in India,including some reputed US and UK ones in the thermal spray busniess.You can also get lot of help from established manufacturers of thermal spray equipments and consumables.This forum would be very useful once you develop some degree of expertise.
ram chattopadhyay
05-01-2010, 05:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-17-2011, 05:41 AM by Jaydev.)
thanks to all

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  i have some questions about the general systems of of organizations theory in the ... elreydelaswasas1 0 1,728 11-17-2019, 05:26 PM
Last Post: elreydelaswasas1
  MCrAlY on steel for general repair MVagusta 2 3,635 08-05-2016, 10:06 AM
Last Post: Vig
  Technical Characteristics of Rich Laser Cladding Technology lijianping 0 3,176 05-17-2014, 06:15 AM
Last Post: lijianping
  delamination in general epilson 1 4,176 06-21-2011, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Gordon