amorphous non-skid coating
04-26-2010, 07:35 AM,
amorphous non-skid coating
Hi,all.
Need some help (info.such as pdf paper or related) about anti-slip thermal spray (HVOF) coating on ship deck for example. i am very interesting in amorphous metallic coating or composite coating, i had email to powdermet inc. but there no reply. now, i want add some Ceramic particles into the coating, anyone can give some suggestions
to me such as what kind of particle and shape and size???

hustzc
Thanks for all help.
hustzc@gmail.com
04-27-2010, 01:34 PM,
RE: amorphous non-skid coating
Hi hustzc

Sign0016 to the Surface Engineering Forum.

I will point you in the direction of this thread on similar subject:

anti-slip-coating-t-335.html
04-28-2010, 01:54 AM,
Hi, Hustzc,

I have experience for amorphous materials.

Genaerally amorphous metal has low friction coefficient and high anti-corrosion properties.

If you want to use to non-skid application, should consider the low friction coefficient such as mixing with abrasive particles.

Liquidmetal technologies' Armacor M information is useful to you.

https://www.liquidmetal.com

Simon
04-28-2010, 12:53 PM,
Hi, Gordon
Hi, Simon,
First, Thanks for your Suggestion. And i have some Questions to ask you,Can you help me? or could you tell me your email?
The non-skid coating should need COF>0.6 ,generally,Fe based BMG have high COF duo to its brittleness but Zr-based BMG
have low COF.Is that right?
So do you mean the abrasive particles should have low friction coefficient ? why?
and what abrasive particles would be better for non-skid application? such as Al2O3 or Carbide or Nitride? any suggestion??

Thanks for all Sincere help.
04-28-2010, 02:37 PM,
Hi hustzc

Quote:or could you tell me your email?

Click on members username and you should be able to contact them via email or private message.

Quote:The non-skid coating should need COF>0.6 ,generally,Fe based BMG have high COF duo to its brittleness but Zr-based BMG
have low COF.Is that right?
So do you mean the abrasive particles should have low friction coefficient ? why?
and what abrasive particles would be better for non-skid application? such as Al2O3 or Carbide or Nitride? any suggestion??

Sorry, talk of COF and BMG's ? is going a bit over my head Happy0193 maybe I'm in need of some strong coffee.

What is the actual application? What is the material and environment that the anti-skid coating is going to work against? COF is pretty meaningless without knowledge of entire system. Surface texture will be of prime importance to anti-skid. Addition of hard particles may make the coating more resistant to wear and retain surface texture for longer, but may have little significant effect on initial surface texture and gripping properties.
04-29-2010, 04:16 AM,
First, it is exactly right that addition of hard particles can enhance the wear properties of coating. But metallic-based coating seem to show similar surface texture after HVOF spraying (e.g.,smooth), which is different from Polymer coating.

so what suggestion to give me if i want to develop metallic based non skid coating (for ex. iron based bulk metallic glass coating?) for ship appilication.
04-29-2010, 03:09 PM,
Hi hustzc

I think arc spray is the more suited process for this coating application, due to low cost, ease of application and importantly its ability to give a wide range of coating textures, which I don't think can be match by the other process at the coarse end.

Coating wise I would strongly consider aluminium, for its anti-corrosion properties, low cost, good texture. Only downfall is wear resistance. Areas of heavy traffic may be worn smooth and require periodic maintenance. The heavy traffic areas could also have additional gritty polymer coatings applied on top. There was a MMC (metal matrix composite) aluminium wire product containing alumina, which was idea for this application, but I believe it is hard to come by now.

HVOF I think is probably not the best suited process here, due to relatively high cost, not so portable, not so easy to use, very smooth coatings.

Coating wise amorphous metal (not sure why this appears to be a strong candidate) and other coatings which are cathodic to the substrate (while possibly being in themselves more corrosion resistance and harder wearing) will not provide the same level of anti-corrosion protection as aluminium unless total environmental exclusion of substrate can be assured.
04-29-2010, 09:45 PM,
Dear Hustzc,

If you're interested, Metallisation have been developing a product we are calling 28E. It is based on the product that Gordon mention which is a reinforced aluminium coating. We have performed long term accelerated wear tests on this product as a sprayed coating with a 'robotic footfall system'. Effectively, we have had a robotic boot walking on the same place on a plate for 1 million footfalls. At various intervals, the co-efficient of friction has been measured with a standard pendulum test for both dry and wet surfaces. The results have shown that whilst there is a decrease in the level of grip from the start to the end of the test cycle after 1 million cycles, the final figures are well in excess of the minimum suggested coeffictient of friction for a low slip potential according the health and safety guidelines for floor surfaces.

Please contact us for more details.
Stuart Milton
Metallisation Ltd
https://www.metallisation.com
07-20-2010, 08:56 AM,
Sorry Hustzc,

I am so late.
I can understand your need.
You want to catch two rabbits, anti-corrosion to sea water and high friction coefficient, it's right?
Maybe Armacor-M wire arc spray could be satisfied your asking.
TWAS is easy and cheap process, and get high amorphous fraction in coating layer.
As you know that amorphous phase to have anti-corrosive property.
And amorphous phase has low COF with steel fair, but TWAS suface is very high roughness.
It will be satisfied your necessary.
HVOF coating is very smooth, so the process needs addition of abrasive.
However TWAS process is very thick and rough.
There is big difference.

Simon
07-22-2010, 03:25 PM,
I sprayed amorphous powder a couple of years ago from Carpenter and Valimet. It was the exact application you describe, but I used HVAF instead of HVOF. It was a much cheaper process. No sealant nor abrasive additives were needed. The powder was iron based. If your customer is preventing you from using arc spray for the application, contact me, and I will share additional details with you.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  hvof & bonding & amorphous coating hustzc 5 7,526 07-07-2012, 02:05 PM
Last Post: musheer
  How to define amorphous area and crystalline area from XRD peak??? fahad03092 1 4,776 05-19-2012, 01:39 PM
Last Post: fahad03092
Question obstruction during deposition of amorphous powders desMoira 6 7,344 07-22-2010, 01:18 PM
Last Post: desMoira