10-10-2007, 02:34 AM,
Dear Gordon,

This time I would like to ask for your help in finding the meanings of the following terminologies :
1. First piece qualifications
2. Pilot lot qualifications
3. CCL qualification for the laboratory

Perhaps the meaning would be slightly different from one company or one standard to the other.
But at least help me with the general ideas of those terms.
Anyone who knows these also , please share with me , I really need to know these terms .

Looking forward to having replies from you guys...

10-10-2007, 06:33 PM,
RE: Terminology
Hi Madila

I would need to guess Ashamed0002

CCL may stand for "Central Coatings Laboratory" or "Contract Calibration Laboratory".
I suspect these may be procedures from GEAE.

Hopefully, someone else can help.
10-11-2007, 03:43 PM,
RE: Terminology
Hi, Madila

To my knowledge
1. First piece qualifications: submitting coated test pieces for qualification of your spraying ability.
2. Pilot lot qualifications: submitting coated and sectioned component pieces for qualification.

You may find answers to the terminologies from the applicable documents issued by your customer.
10-14-2007, 02:03 AM,
RE: Terminology
CCL is the Central Coatings Laboratory that is authorized by GEAE to evaluate their coatings, approve other labs to process labs on GEAE hardware and a place that companies send their lab techs to get certified to evaluate coatings on GEAE hardware. If you process GEAE hardware you'll be submitting a lot of coated samples to them over time.

By first piece qualification are you referring to first article? I believe that is submitting documentation that shows you can process hardware conforming to <company>'s spec, step by step.

I'm not sure about pilot lot, though.

Hope that helps!
Donald Richards
Product Engineering Technician
Cincinnati Thermal Spray, South
10-14-2007, 11:10 AM,
RE: Terminology
Hi Donald

Sign0016 to the Surface Engineering Forum.

Thanks for your contribution Big Grin

While on the subject of terminology: GEAE - "General Electric Aircraft Engines" I think, part of GE anyway Happy0193
10-15-2007, 11:08 AM,
RE: Terminology
Dear Gordon and All....

Thank you very much indeed for the help.
Really helps me a lot to understand these terms.
Yes this would involves parts for General Electric company.

Thanks a lot again guys....

10-26-2007, 01:41 AM,
RE: Terminology
Gordon & all,

Pilot run/lot generally refers to the actual production parts that is processed in badge/lot, or be it single piece part, after you have substantiated the process capability. And normally, the pilot run parts, will be used for first article inspection or sent back for engine test run, to acquire full approval. In some cases, pilot run could also used to qualify some insignificant process I guess, but the significant ones will normally pre qualified before pilot run...by using scrap


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Surface Engineering Forum Sponsor - Alphatek Hyperformance Coatings Ltd