Steam turbines
01-28-2008, 12:16 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-19-2008, 09:56 PM by plasmajet1990.)
Steam turbines
Hi Gordon and everyone

In the 200 MW steam turbines, the blades from the last two steps are worn out due to the action of water drops. These drops inside the steam hit the leading edge of the blades, producing wear.
Do you know a Thermal Spray Coating method to protect the leading edge of the blades?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDMGbkmQ2WM
01-29-2008, 12:30 PM,
RE: Steam turbines
Hi plasmajet1990

High velocity thermal spray processes using Chromium carbide/nickel chromium, WC/CoCr, Stellite 6 type coatings I believe are used. Main advantage I suppose is that the thermal spray process does not alter the blade substrate metallurgy. Many other different surface engineering techniques are also used to protect these blades as well as hydrophilic fluorocarbon or epoxy type coatings on the stationary blades to reduce water droplet size.

What were the materials and protective systems originally?
01-29-2008, 11:32 PM,
RE: Steam turbines
Hi Gordon,

The originally protective sistems use silver soldered Stellite plates.
There are also flame or ESD (Electro-Spark Deposition) hardening procedures.

Thank you
I. Trusca

Gordon Wrote:Hi plasmajet1990

High velocity thermal spray processes using Chromium carbide/nickel chromium, WC/CoCr, Stellite 6 type coatings I believe are used. Main advantage I suppose is that the thermal spray process does not alter the blade substrate metallurgy. Many other different surface engineering techniques are also used to protect these blades as well as hydrophilic fluorocarbon or epoxy type coatings on the stationary blades to reduce water droplet size.

What were the materials and protective systems originally?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Metallic HVOF bond coat to TBC APS top coat Gas turbines achmadarifudinh 0 1,838 07-08-2019, 08:34 AM
Last Post: achmadarifudinh
  Wind turbines Intel55 3 5,372 02-02-2017, 11:57 AM
Last Post: shantanu