Spraying of Magnesium (Mg alloys) powder
04-22-2009, 04:20 AM,
Spraying of Magnesium (Mg alloys) powder
Dear Gordon and all..

Does anyone know anything about spraying of magnesium powder, with any of the thermal spray technique ?
Please share.

Thanks ,
~Madila~
04-25-2009, 09:10 AM,
RE: Spraying of Magnesium (Mg alloys) powder
Hi Madila

No experience or knowledge of spraying magnesium or high magnesium content alloy coatings I'm afraid. Due to magnesium having a high affinity for oxygen and high reactivity particularly in a finely divided state as in powder or ribbon, I suspect normal atmospheric spraying techniques would produce excessively oxidised coatings at best. Also these powders should be considered as hazardous from a fire and explosion point of view. Spraying in an inert atmosphere or cold dynamic spraying (inert gas) may be possible.

I would be interested to know what the intended applications would be for these coatings?
05-20-2009, 01:32 AM,
Hi Gordon,

My mistake in the first place.
It's not the spraying of Mg powders, but spraying on the Mg surface.
Sorry... Ashamed0002

Do you have any idea what type of materials and method can be used?

Thanks a lot ...
~MaDiLa~

(04-25-2009, 09:10 AM)Gordon Wrote: Hi Madila

No experience or knowledge of spraying magnesium or high magnesium content alloy coatings I'm afraid. Due to magnesium having a high affinity for oxygen and high reactivity particularly in a finely divided state as in powder or ribbon, I suspect normal atmospheric spraying techniques would produce excessively oxidised coatings at best. Also these powders should be considered as hazardous from a fire and explosion point of view. Spraying in an inert atmosphere or cold dynamic spraying (inert gas) may be possible.

I would be interested to know what the intended applications would be for these coatings?

Ashamed0002
05-20-2009, 10:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-20-2009, 10:28 AM by LEN WOOD.)
Hi Madila.

There are many many different coatings approved for use and applied to Magnesium components, particularly Aerospace casings for restoration and supersurfacing. The technique and process is critical but achievable once you have mastered the Force or obtained the support of a Jedi Wink.
The question is what are you looking to do and why?

Cheers
05-20-2009, 08:04 PM,
Hi Madila

In addition to GlenB's post and mastering the force Happy0193 Generally, you should treat magnesium alloys as you would aluminium, but only more so. You should not directly preheat the surface to be sprayed. Best not preheat at all, just try and keep parts above dew point temperature. Try and spray immediately after surface preparation, as surface will oxidise quickly.

GlenB (Jedi Master) will probably have some practical tips when he knows more about what you are trying to do Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Surface hardening [steel + steel alloys] haggis 1 3,707 07-09-2017, 12:42 PM
Last Post: plasmajet1990
  STUBS WELDING ALLOYS SW7 wtaz 2 4,407 10-06-2016, 10:32 PM
Last Post: wtaz
  Sprayed, welded or cast alloys for high heat Zanitech 2 4,080 10-01-2013, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Met.Eng.
  Spraying on Magnesium substrate Madila Awalini 9 10,423 07-05-2010, 04:01 AM
Last Post: Madila Awalini
  Brazing light metals (Aluminium and Magnesium) JimLiang 3 6,818 02-22-2008, 06:54 PM
Last Post: JimLiang
  Max. Allowable M/C Hold Up Period Btw 2 spraying opn with same Powder Recipe&Set-up Alexangel1226 5 10,037 12-08-2006, 01:13 AM
Last Post: Gordon