Spraying Lead (Next step)
10-28-2008, 04:50 PM,
Spraying Lead (Next step)
I posted a thread a few weeks back about wanting to learn info on thermal spraying. I now want to move onto the next step of researching what is required to implement this in a plant. Equipment-wise, if any certifications are needed, that kind of stuff, it would be much appreciated.
10-28-2008, 05:58 PM,
RE: Next step
Hi Larsons

Are you specifically concerned with the application discuss previously or more general?

(09-27-2008, 03:09 AM)larsons Wrote: Hello! I am an intern at Vulcan GMS. We are a company that focuses on creating products that are shielded from radiation. My assignment has been to research new technologies for applying lead or tungsten onto steel cast pieces. I came across spraying and powder metallurgy, and I was wondering if i could get some insight from some professionals.

What i really want to know is with this spraying technology, how exactly does it work, and can any metal be used for coating. Also the thickness of the coat is important. And about how long does the process take on a 1'x1' surface, and how costly is it compared to other technologies.

Thank you all very much.

Sean Larson
Undergraduate of Industrial Engineering
Milwaukee School of Engineering

(10-02-2008, 01:56 AM)larsons Wrote: Thanks everyone! As to the earlier post, We currently use 1/8" thick lead sheets, cut and formed into a steel cast. The cast is like a hollowed box, except with some ridges inside. I am not sure if 1/8" is neccasary, I've been trying to figure out how much radiation, MeVs the machine puts out that is being housed in this cast. The purpose of this lead spray is shielding.

Cold spraying sounds like a something i should put some time into researching. thank you again, if i have any questions about the process I will ask.

Equipment and plant requirements, I would speak to the potential manufacturers/suppliers for their recommendations and then further research their recommendations externally Happy0193

If spraying materials like lead, a big concern will be environment and health and safety, both from the moral and lawful aspects. Contact your local government/country organisations particularly on lawful aspects of spraying lead. Research wider for implications concerning health, safety and environment. This factor alone will have a major impact on equipment/plant and procedure requirements. To be honest, lining/cladding enclosures with lead sheet sounds like the simplest, most effective and cheaper option, but I'm looking from a position of little information, so you may have good reason for wanting to move away from this method.

Certification, from a product quality aspect will be dependent on your customer requirements. Certification on aspects of health/safety/environment may be required by local government agencies.

I know, a bit vague, but hopefully pointing you in the right direction Big Grin
10-28-2008, 07:27 PM,
Thank you once again Gordon. I will research health concerns later, Vulcan deals solely with lead so we already have many procedures etc in place. I am more interested what equipment i need to be able to spray in a plant.

If you can refer me to a equipment provider, or other websites containing information on thermal and cold spraying it would be extremely helpful in my research, thank you again
10-31-2008, 06:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-31-2008, 06:05 PM by larsons.)
Ok. I have inquired to metco and CGT-ABS about purchasing their equipment. However there is some information which would be useful that their websites do not contain. WHat i am looking to find out is:

What pre and post processes are required for thermal/cold spraying

What facilities are needed(vent room, enclosed bench...)

what kind of robotic interface is necessary, if so
thanks
11-01-2008, 05:09 PM,
Hi Sean

Pre-spraying facilities you will probably require will be:
Cleaning, grit blasting, masking.

Facilities around the spraying process:
* Sound proofed room/booth to house and isolate process
* Effective extraction and filtration system
* Mechanical handling equipment for gun and or components
* May be some level of automated process and safety/emmission control

Post-spraying facilities may include:
De-masking, sealing, machining.

Really, my point on the health, safety and environment need to be researched now rather than later, as this will to a great extent effect the type of equipment, process and associated equipment required. Most of the thermal spray equipment suppliers should be able to advise on and supply most of the required equipment/plant.
11-01-2008, 07:16 PM,
RE: Spraying Lead (Next step)
Hi Sean

Hope you don't mind me changing thread title. Just makes it easier for navigation and searching. Smile
11-03-2008, 05:50 AM,
RE: Spraying Lead (Next step)
Yea thats not a problem.
Mainly I just wanted to know what i would need to set up that metco wouldn't offer.

With the lead, i will talk with the supplier, but as I said we are a company that has dealt with lead for a while, and have many procedures for airborne safety etc. Thank you for all your help again.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Coating of lead spheres Headland 11 17,619 10-09-2006, 02:32 PM
Last Post: Gordon