Silicon Mask or Metal Mask for HVOF
04-25-2019, 01:39 AM,
Silicon Mask or Metal Mask for HVOF
Hi all,

Masking for thermal spray is essential as one of the reason is to avoid overspray on non-coated area.
But which masking are suitable for HVOF process?
Currently Im using silicon mask and within a few month only (depends on frequency of using), it already wear off and causing overspray on my parts.
Metal mask is a good option but it will cause HVOF coating to build up on it after prolong exposure. Even though anti bond was apply, but it also peel off during the process.

What you guys think? Any other resources or methods that are better?

Thank you Smile
04-25-2019, 12:15 PM,
RE: Silicon Mask or Metal Mask for HVOF
HI TAZ
Moldable BlueShield is a very good mashing moldable compound, I’ve been using it to masking all difficulty geometry parts to be coated by HVOF system, and inside holes too, but on revolution surfaces I apply the normal Tape for high temperature like DW 501 or 503, that are easier to remove from the piece after coating, all of this tapes are from DEWAL , but there are many others tape productors that have similar products. Of course you must choice the product that match with you application, for example if you use to do coating on series of particulars, so you must use solid masking in order to mount and takeoff the masking more easily, like metal or silicone protections.
Best regards
Luigi
04-25-2019, 12:53 PM,
Good morning,

We have not used these people before, although I have suggested giving them a try. So, unfortunately, I cannot tell if they have good prices. I have a very good impression of their products from their web site, so here is a link:

http://maxolstudios.com/thermal-spray-masking/

I have no affiliation with them, and stand nothing to gain from posting this link. If you or anyone else decides to use their products I would love to know well their products perform. The company for which I work could use a good push in the right direction for masking HVOF as well as other processes.
04-26-2019, 12:50 AM,
(04-25-2019, 12:15 PM)loriolo Wrote: HI TAZ
Moldable BlueShield is a very good mashing moldable compound, I’ve been using it to masking all difficulty geometry parts to be coated by HVOF system, and inside holes too, but on revolution surfaces I apply the normal Tape for high temperature like DW 501 or 503, that are easier to remove from the piece after coating, all of this tapes are from DEWAL , but there are many others tape productors that have similar products. Of course you must choice the product that match with you application, for example if you use to do coating on series of particulars, so you must use solid masking in order to mount and takeoff the masking more easily, like metal or silicone protections.

Hi,

I've heard about Dewal before but have not yet try their products.
The Moldabel Blueshield compound that you mention here, it is flexible compound?
What is the lifespan based on your usage for HVOF process?

04-28-2019, 09:51 PM,
its moldable and plastic tape in order to apply it on complicated geometry, or holes, on holes you can apply grafite or copper caps too
Best regards
Luigi
01-17-2023, 04:20 AM,
(04-25-2019, 01:39 AM)Taz Wrote: Hi all,

Masking for thermal spray is essential as one of the reason is to avoid overspray on non-coated area.
Currently Im using silicon mask and within a few month only (depends on frequency of using), it already wear off and causing overspray on my parts.
Metal mask is a good option but it will cause HVOF coating to build up on it after prolong exposure. Even though anti bond was apply, but it also peel off during the process.

Thank you Smile

Hello,

I'm facing the same problem now, I used the metal mask and have the buidl up on it.
So I want to know what kind of silicone do you use, made by yourself or bought outside, can you share with me more information about it?

I have tried Dewal tapes, it performs well but the tape can blowed off during spraying.
01-19-2023, 04:39 PM,
(04-25-2019, 12:53 PM)Lemster68 Wrote: Good morning,

We have not used these people before, although I have suggested giving them a try.  So, unfortunately, I cannot tell if they have good prices.  I have a very good impression of their products from their web site, so here is a link:

I have no affiliation with them, and stand nothing to gain from posting this link.  If you or anyone else decides to use their products I would love to know well their products perform.  The company for which I work could use a good push in the right direction for masking HVOF as well as other processes.

I used them for shot peening masking. Good results.
01-20-2023, 01:59 PM,
Thank you very much for providing that feedback.
01-30-2023, 07:19 AM,
(01-17-2023, 04:20 AM)Zhao Yun Wrote:
(04-25-2019, 01:39 AM)Taz Wrote: Hi all,

Thank you Smile

Hello,

I'm facing the same problem now, I used the metal mask and have the buidl up on it.
So I want to know what kind of silicone do you use, made by yourself or bought outside, can you share with me more information about it?

I have tried Dewal tapes, it performs well but the tape can blowed off during spraying.

We bought it from outside and I'm not sure what materials it was made of.

I have the same issue where the tapes was blowed off during the HVOF.
01-30-2023, 07:24 AM,
(04-25-2019, 12:53 PM)Lemster68 Wrote: Good morning,

We have not used these people before, although I have suggested giving them a try.  So, unfortunately, I cannot tell if they have good prices.  I have a very good impression of their products from their web site, so here is a link:

I have no affiliation with them, and stand nothing to gain from posting this link.  If you or anyone else decides to use their products I would love to know well their products perform.  The company for which I work could use a good push in the right direction for masking HVOF as well as other processes.

Thank you Lemster68. I will give it a try and see whether we got any solution or not.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Silicon Powder Clogging Tom Bruce 2 2,649 02-13-2018, 11:15 AM
Last Post: adam wintle
  Silicon and Hafnium coating powder effect achmadarifudinh 1 2,651 08-23-2017, 01:39 PM
Last Post: mgbaca1
  Metco Super Spray Mask - alternative? Pete_F 3 4,544 04-12-2017, 05:41 PM
Last Post: J!m
  Silicon via APS at 200 gram / min and 10 mm thick Stephen Booth 1 3,252 04-29-2014, 09:22 AM
Last Post: dahaoruifa
  Peel able carbon steel mask phici 3 8,705 08-17-2012, 09:17 AM
Last Post: shinestar
Question Preheating silicon bars for arc spraying banquo 2 5,106 03-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Last Post: banquo
  Problems with aluminium-silicon coating gasper 6 16,175 05-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Last Post: gasper