Questions on Metco 4MP feeder
10-28-2012, 02:41 PM,
Questions on Metco 4MP feeder
Hello,

Could somebody comment on the following questions, please:
- how dependable those 4MP feeders are, i.e. how much maintenance required and what are the typical problems?
- what is the minimum feed rate these units are capable to deliver?
- how accurate is the unit in maintaining the feed rate?
- what to look for (pay attention to) when buying a used one?
- availability of spare parts?

Thanks to everybody who can help.

Serge
10-29-2012, 08:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-29-2012, 08:27 AM by kschewe.)
RE: Questions on Metco 4MP feeder
Hi
My company still uses the 4mp in some locations. It is a simple machine and does a good job. I never tried a min feed rate but i can remember using 4lb/hr, or 30 g/min. to 20/b/hr. I am very sure it goes lower. It is easy to clean hoppers. The one I used had a digital scale which takes a bit of time to stabilize. Its accurate since it weights the powder and calculates how much feed its using. I think this unit is high maintenance since there are so many hoses and orings from it. Most spare parts are available. I don't think metco supports some of the older models and you cannot get parts if it dies. In the US there are very popular and probably tons of used or after market parts.
I personally like the twin 10 system but its expensive.

For a used one I would look to make sure the scale works. Hoses and orings are easy enough to fix.

(10-28-2012, 02:41 PM)SurfaTec Wrote: Hello,

Could somebody comment on the following questions, please:
- how dependable those 4MP feeders are, i.e. how much maintenance required and what are the typical problems?

Thanks to everybody who can help.

Serge

10-29-2012, 02:57 PM,
Thank you very much for your input!
Do you think it will do 1/2 lbs/hr?

Serge
10-30-2012, 10:32 AM,
Hi,

(10-28-2012, 02:41 PM)SurfaTec Wrote: - how dependable those 4MP feeders are, i.e. how much maintenance required and what are the typical problems?

Leaks are the typical problems on those feeders, internal hoses and rings have to be replace in most of second hand systems.

(10-28-2012, 02:41 PM)SurfaTec Wrote: - what is the minimum feed rate these units are capable to deliver?

The minimum i went was 5g/mn, under 5 it was unstable, it was a laser clading project, we switch on a 9MP CL dedicated to laser cladding with a better accuracy load cell.

(10-28-2012, 02:41 PM)SurfaTec Wrote: - how accurate is the unit in maintaining the feed rate?

+/- 5% of the set value but it's really related to the powder structure and density and sometime it's areal pain in the neck to stabilize the powder flow.Hopper base filter element should be in excellent condition.

(10-28-2012, 02:41 PM)SurfaTec Wrote: - what to look for (pay attention to) when buying a used one?

Hopper condition (O-ring surface condition), flowmeter and vibrator (rust).
Filter aspect will give you a good idea of the general condition of the feeder.

(10-28-2012, 02:41 PM)SurfaTec Wrote: - availability of spare parts?

2 year ago, when i get retired, spares were still available.
Anyway all you need to restart on is a reseal package, a tubing package, an hopper base filter element and a pick-up shaft according to your powder feed rate.

If you need more help just ask.

Regards

10-31-2012, 05:03 AM,
[quote='Spraytube' pid='7445' dateline='1351589579']
Hi,

[quote]

Leaks are the typical problems on those feeders, internal hoses and rings have to be replace in most of second hand systems.
[/quote]

I'm looking to get a refurbished one with 90 days warranty. I think that would be enough to test its operation and accuracy.

[quote]

The minimum i went was 5g/mn, under 5 it was unstable, it was a laser clading project, we switch on a 9MP CL dedicated to laser cladding with a better accuracy load cell.
[/quote]

That's what I need this unit for – laser cladding. Could you please let me know what type and what power of laser you were using? Did you need feed rate lower than 5 g/m?

[quote]

+/- 5% of the set value but it's really related to the powder structure and density and sometime it's areal pain in the neck to stabilize the powder flow.Hopper base filter element should be in excellent condition.
[/quote]

Good to know. Should I request the spare filter to come with the unit?
And maybe the kit of spare parts (o-rings, hoses, etc.)

[quote]

Hopper condition (O-ring surface condition), flowmeter and vibrator (rust).
Filter aspect will give you a good idea of the general condition of the feeder.
[/quote]

Thank you. Will check them out.

[quote]

2 year ago, when i get retired, spares were still available.
Anyway all you need to restart on is a reseal package, a tubing package, an hopper base filter element and a pick-up shaft according to your powder feed rate.
[/quote]

Thank you once again.
I'll ask my vendor if they do have all these spare parts available.

Cheers!

Serge

10-31-2012, 10:53 AM,
Hi,

(10-31-2012, 05:03 AM)SurfaTec Wrote: That's what I need this unit for – laser cladding. Could you please let me know what type and what power of laser you were using? Did you need feed rate lower than 5 g/m?

Sorry but this project was under NDA, all i can say is that the only solution was the 9MP powder feeder with a special load cell.

We rented a twin like and a 5 MP, 5MP was almost "ok" but the powder established time was too long.

Regards

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  i have some questions about the general systems of of organizations theory in the ... elreydelaswasas1 0 1,728 11-17-2019, 05:26 PM
Last Post: elreydelaswasas1
  Grinding questions and my personal information Rage2371 12 6,363 05-25-2019, 10:47 AM
Last Post: velocity
  Oxy-fuel wire spray gun questions hje 5 4,028 01-26-2019, 05:58 PM
Last Post: plasmajet1990
  Noob questions Nixx 14 9,994 08-06-2014, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Parat Tech
  Stainless steel questions szzuk 2 5,210 09-19-2011, 09:29 PM
Last Post: szzuk
  Thermal Spray misc questions powerman 11 22,315 07-15-2011, 08:12 AM
Last Post: kschewe