Mud rotor WC coating
02-07-2018, 02:09 PM,
Mud rotor WC coating
Friends,
Just quit my job and joined in another firm. I never did
Mud rotor WC10Co4nr coating previously. I have a 6 lobe mud rotor 5" diameter
Length about 3meters. I am going to use metco woka410 si gun along with ABB robot.
to apply 300microns upto 600 microns. Can anyone suggest parameters?
Spray rate 80g/min recommended by METCO for woka 3652 powder
Robot stand off distance? 12" as per manual is it Ok?
Robot traverse?
Lathe rotation speed?
Flame offset?
Is required cooling component? & how many psi air?

Please share your knowledge

With greatful
Krishan
02-08-2018, 07:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-08-2018, 08:54 PM by Vadim Verlotski.)
RE: Mud rotor WC coating
(02-07-2018, 02:09 PM)demionkrishan Wrote: Friends,
Length about 3meters. I am going to use metco woka410 si gun along with ABB robot.
Robot traverse?
Lathe rotation speed?
Flame offset?

With greatful
Krishan

Hi Krishan,

12" spray distance is ok for this powder.
Rotation speed for 5 inch mud rotor should be at least 300 rpm, but the higher the better. At 80 g/min powder flow You need a minimum relative speed of movement of 2000 mm/s to apply per single layer not more than 10 microns. More than 10 μm per pass can lead to cracking, especially if you want to apply 600 μm. Even better would be 5-7 microns per single layer, but that means 400-600 rpm rotation speed.
Air cooling you need necessarily and twice: running nozzles attached to the burner and a general fixed cooling (3 meter tube with many small holes). Distance from cooling nozzles to the rotor 30-50 mm. For cooling you need a standard compressor (10 bar) with the power of approx. 50 kW. From the compressor to the cooling nozzles 3/4 or 1 inch hose should be placed.
Air cooling must be set so that the rotor is at approx. 150-180°C during coating. After sandblasting and immediately before coating, the entire rotor should be preheated to 130-150°C.

Regards
Vadim
03-13-2018, 09:34 AM,
The surface speed you mentioned is high (approx ~120m/min) . Is it because you need to quote very few microns per pass?? or to keep the job temp lower??

Also, I have seen people keeping the Coating spot at off distance from the central rotational axis? WHY?? and by how much?

Regards
Shreenath

(02-08-2018, 07:41 PM)Vadim Verlotski Wrote:
(02-07-2018, 02:09 PM)demionkrishan Wrote: Friends,
Robot traverse?
Lathe rotation speed?
Flame offset?

With greatful
Krishan

Hi Krishan,

12" spray distance is ok for this powder.
Rotation speed for 5 inch mud rotor should be at least 300 rpm, but the higher the better. At 80 g/min powder flow You need a minimum relative speed of movement of 2000 mm/s to apply per single layer not more than 10 microns. More than 10 μm per pass can lead to cracking, especially if you want to apply 600 μm. Even better would be 5-7 microns per single layer, but that means 400-600 rpm rotation speed.
Air cooling you need necessarily and twice: running nozzles attached to the burner and a general fixed cooling (3 meter tube with many small holes). Distance from cooling nozzles to the rotor 30-50 mm. For cooling you need a standard compressor (10 bar) with the power of approx. 50 kW. From the compressor to the cooling nozzles 3/4 or 1 inch hose should be placed.
Air cooling must be set so that the rotor is at approx. 150-180°C during coating. After sandblasting and immediately before coating, the entire rotor should be preheated to 130-150°C.

Regards
Vadim

03-13-2018, 02:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-13-2018, 02:25 PM by Vadim Verlotski.)
Hi Shreenath,

Both are important (low thickness per pass and even temperature distribution). The higher the number of revolutions, the lower the stresses are formed in the layer. You can make burner movement too slow, but never too fast!
The displacement of the spray area away from the centerline is often done on different screws. This achieves the same layer thickness on the outside and inside diameter.

Regards
Vadim

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  turbine rotor gland seal system, Stephen Booth 1 4,474 06-20-2015, 06:47 PM
Last Post: Johnny_Blaze