Interface separation in Copper Nickel Indium coating
12-16-2007, 12:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-04-2008, 03:15 PM by Donald.)
Interface separation in Copper Nickel Indium coating
Hey guys,

I am looking for a way to reduce/eliminate interface separation in plasma sprayed Cu-Ni-In (B50TF72A I believe...) when applied to a stainless steel substrate (or any other in general). Aside from the separation the coating conforms metallographically to the spec I'm evaluating against. The separation is apparent at 200x.

I've heard from my plant manager this coating tends to do this a lot when ground/polished.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm afraid I can't go into too many details due to my companys proprietary nature.

Thanks!
Donald Richards
Product Engineering Technician
Cincinnati Thermal Spray, South
https://www.cts-inc.net
12-17-2007, 12:58 AM,
RE: Interface separation in Copper Nickel Indium coating
Hi Donald

Is this problem just with metallographic evaluation of test pieces or does it effect the actual job with coating edge separation as well?

If it is a metallogaraphic preparation induced feature, I can only suggest that extreme care is taken on cutting-off, epoxy vacuum impregnation and cold mounting in epoxy resin (as opposed to hot/pressure mounting in bakelite or using high shrink cold resins). With cutting and grinding always try and keep coating in compression against substrate.
12-17-2007, 01:38 AM,
Gordon Wrote:Hi Donald

Is this problem just with metallographic evaluation of test pieces or does it effect the actual job with coating edge separation as well?

If it is a metallogaraphic preparation induced feature, I can only suggest that extreme care is taken on cutting-off, epoxy vacuum impregnation and cold mounting in epoxy resin (as opposed to hot/pressure mounting in bakelite or using high shrink cold resins). With cutting and grinding always try and keep coating in compression against substrate.

Just with metallographic evaluation. The actual as sprayed coating looks fantastic on the parts we process (which we can only process after a conforming lab, etc.)

We have a frozen process that takes all the above factors into play and the coating is always ground/polished in compression, so I am not exactly sure why it is this particular coating that tends to do it.

I appreciate your quick response!
Donald Richards
12-17-2007, 01:56 AM,
Hi Donald

I know some coatings are prone to this effect, even ones with relatively high bond strengths. I take it that the separation is seen running from the ends/edges of the samples. I know some specifications allow to some extent for this effect. I assume no bond coat is involved?
Do you bevel/chamfer the edges of your test pieces? Try to make sure your test piece is seeing the same conditions as the job, particularly temperature wise.
01-08-2008, 02:47 PM,
The company I work for was also having this problem, what I started to do was to pre-cut the test pc and also bevel the edges. You may also want to make sure that when you are pre-heating the test pc gets the same amout of heat as the parts to be coated. Pre-heating the substrates is very important with this coating. Also, depending on the OEM you are doing this job for, you may be able to ignore .010 from the edges of your sample.

Erick
01-08-2008, 04:21 PM,
Good post Erick.

Quote:what I started to do was to pre-cut the test pc and also bevel the edges
Could you expand on pre-cutting test piece? does this enable you to avoid using the cutting-off part of the metallographic preparation process? I suspect that cutting-off could be a prime contender for initiating this problem.
01-09-2008, 03:54 PM,
Pre-cutting a sample is simply just do as much cutting as possible before coating the sample. This reduces the chances of mechanical damage due to cutting. After coating the piece I put the sample in a lab cut-off saw(use wood or other soft material in the jaws of the sample vise to avoid damage to coating) and cut the small remaining material. Make sure you are using some sort of cutting fluid to avoid excess heat and cut towards the coating(keep the coating in compression). Clean and dry, then you are ready for cold mount.
01-14-2008, 07:10 AM,
Hi Donald, gordon and everyone,
How did you control cooling air during spraying.
I think cooling air that is very important, because this coating is very special and apt to cause internal stress. It will cause the coating to separate, when you cut the sample.

So control your cooling air and increase surface roughness.

best regards,

William
Regards, William
03-23-2009, 09:26 PM,
Hi William,

So are you saying that you need to cool the coating during thermal spraying or cool the coating during polishing/mounting?
What best practices do you use for keeping coating at an optimal temperature?

John

(01-14-2008, 07:10 AM)William Wrote: Hi Donald, gordon and everyone,
How did you control cooling air during spraying.
I think cooling air that is very important, because this coating is very special and apt to cause internal stress. It will cause the coating to separate, when you cut the sample.

So control your cooling air and increase surface roughness.

best regards,

William
03-31-2009, 01:02 PM,
Hi Gejohn.
We control the cooling during the spraying coating. We control the temperature at 110-140 degree C.

I hope that my reply can help you.

Best regards,
William,
Regards, William
04-26-2009, 02:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-26-2009, 02:32 AM by Donald.)
William,

Surface finish was around ~150 RA with a decent profile. Cooling air was 90psi, sweeping through the flame, roughly 8-10 inch standoff from the test specimen; specimen maintained a temperature around 150 degrees F, so that wasn't the issue. While the specimen presented delamination after grinding/polishing the hardware and as sprayed samples looked great. I am attributing it to perhaps too much pressure while grinding and polishing without the lab technician noticing it, putting undue stress in the coating. We now process this coating on a more regular basis and I haven't seen this reoccurance.

Thank you all for your advice/suggestions!
Donald Richards

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Copper Coating on Slip Ring Stephen Booth 2 1,223 04-19-2022, 01:15 PM
Last Post: Stephen Booth
Lightbulb Metco 58NS CuNiIn Interface Problem johnrafiee 18 4,918 03-15-2022, 07:57 AM
Last Post: techmankpo
  Blemish in flame sprayed self fluxing nickel based coating etelatal 4 2,958 07-23-2020, 08:50 AM
Last Post: etelatal
  NiCrAlY interface separation edrazee 10 4,506 03-05-2020, 01:10 AM
Last Post: edrazee
  Sulzer Metco 58NS Copper-Nickel-Indium alloy powder question RaymondF2 1 3,155 09-05-2018, 04:35 PM
Last Post: ServiceTech
  interface problem marzal 14 10,928 09-25-2015, 11:00 AM
Last Post: Joris Kraak
  Nickel based powder Steamhammer 0 2,662 04-02-2015, 05:24 PM
Last Post: Steamhammer
  Stripping HVOF Nickel Bound SSC 6 7,659 02-26-2014, 11:24 PM
Last Post: FWisniewski
  Stripping HVOF Nickel Bound SSC 3 5,546 04-01-2013, 11:33 AM
Last Post: SSC
  interface contamination Brent 5 8,335 04-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Last Post: Brent
  Separation in Wire spray (Metco 405) shabisyed 3 7,336 03-13-2012, 08:44 AM