I'd like to' open a small coating shop in the north of Italy
06-18-2011, 10:52 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-18-2011, 10:52 PM by MVagusta.)
I'd like to' open a small coating shop in the north of Italy
Hello everyone!
As per title after six years of experience as Aps-Hvof process engineer i'm thinking about opening my own small coating shop! To do so i first of all need customer... Anyone of you guys may help me? To whom should i ask to? Anyone interested in a joint venture? All suggestions Are very very welcome!
Thank you!Wink
06-20-2011, 05:51 PM,
RE: I'd like to' open a small coating shop in the north of Italy
Congratulations on your decision to start a new business. Having been in your shoes before I would suggest that you should begin with what you know best. What industry is your APS-HVOF experience from? The market you know best is always the safest place to start.

Have you had any direct communication with customers in the past? Forthright discussion with existing contacts over a lunch or dinner may point you directly to the contacts you need to secure your first order. It can be as simple as saying: I'd like to find out how to get "x" contract with your company. Do you know with whom I'd have to speak in order to get that opportunity? NOTE: Larger companies and companies in more stringently regulated industries (like aerospace or defense) tend to be more time consuming to get established with as a new vendor. Try to insulate yourself from the run around by selecting companies in different size ranges and try to have a relatively diversified client base in terms of size.

If you don't have sales experience, then you would be making a mistake not to get someone to help with contacts and experience. I can't say I know much about the business environment in Northern Italy, but I would guess that you probably have some opportunity working with an industry rep if it is similar to the US. Reps tend to have a specific industry focus for sales, but not a tremendous amount of technical capability for special processes like thermal spray. They can pipe you into contacts and get you the opportunity to solve problems for customers, but lack the ability to solve the problem themselves. Ususally they are paid by commission and represent many companies at just a few locations, but are focused on decent sized contracts that would be worthwhile. While it can be difficult to find a good rep that will get you the right opportunities it can also be a relatively inexpensive way to gain footing in some critical accounts. Be mindful though that once you get established with the rep you have to stick with him if he is any good, becasue he can probably get you out just as quick as he can get you in.
06-21-2011, 12:32 PM,
RE: I'd like to' open a small coating shop in the north of Italy
(06-20-2011, 05:51 PM)MichiganMan Wrote: Congratulations on your decision to start a new business. Having been in your shoes before I would suggest that you should begin with what you know best. What industry is your APS-HVOF experience from? The market you know best is always the safest place to start.

Hello MichiganMan! thanks for your reply and your precious advises!
I used to work at a company which is into the aerospace industry, i've made my experience only in this field.

(06-20-2011, 05:51 PM)MichiganMan Wrote: Have you had any direct communication with customers in the past? Forthright discussion with existing contacts over a lunch or dinner may point you directly to the contacts you need to secure your first order. It can be as simple as saying: I'd like to find out how to get "x" contract with your company. Do you know with whom I'd have to speak in order to get that opportunity? NOTE: Larger companies and companies in more stringently regulated industries (like aerospace or defense) tend to be more time consuming to get established with as a new vendor.

I used to have daily contact with customers but unfortunately as you correctly pointed out aerospace companies aren't exactly easy to start business with because they strictly require organized and certified coating structures (possibly with a long proven business history) and moreover a single product validation may last 2 years, then it'll go under production and the coating company starts seeing money.

(06-20-2011, 05:51 PM)MichiganMan Wrote: If you don't have sales experience, then you would be making a mistake not to get someone to help with contacts and experience. I can't say I know much about the business environment in Northern Italy, but I would guess that you probably have some opportunity working with an industry rep if it is similar to the US. Reps tend to have a specific industry focus for sales, but not a tremendous amount of technical capability for special processes like thermal spray. They can pipe you into contacts and get you the opportunity to solve problems for customers, but lack the ability to solve the problem themselves. Ususally they are paid by commission and represent many companies at just a few locations, but are focused on decent sized contracts that would be worthwhile.

As you wrote a good step ahead for myself would be to find out a good sales represantative who could get me in a contract in order to start my business.

As i cannot start in the field i better know (aerospace), from which field is best and easy to start with? which field has the lowest technical requirements? Lowest quality checks (cut ups, non destructive tests....)? On which field could i start the business with fewer equipments, like a sandblasting machine and a HVOF booth?

Thanks, Luca

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  turbine blade coating shop sal 1 3,149 05-13-2015, 01:56 PM
Last Post: Parat Tech
  Cost for a small coating shop Florin 21 30,270 01-25-2011, 05:42 PM
Last Post: dravidmartin
  Job Shop for Sale ? SteelDryver 3 8,586 08-15-2008, 02:12 PM
Last Post: mrj3311