How do I encrypt a document /file etc?
01-24-2013, 04:23 AM,
How do I encrypt a document /file etc?
Hello Everybody,

I am running Vista and wish to encrypt a document or file so only I can read it. When I right click there is nothing in the drop down box that you click to encrypt or password protect as in my old Windows ME system. Help please anyone?

Thanks in advance
Vicky Milza

02-01-2013, 08:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-11-2013, 02:57 AM by TonyMccallum.)
RE: How do I encrypt a document /file etc?
Hello Members,

Encryption is a process of encoding information so that it cannot be accessed by others unless they have the key needed to decode it. Encryption is usually used to protect highly sensitive documents, but it's also a good way to stop people from looking at your personal stuff.

1. Encryption utilities that encrypt files/folders directly - the utilities reviewed in this article. These utilitiees encrypt discrete files and/or folders directly, in contrast to utilities that encrypt and store files in volumes (archives, i.e., container files). File-based utilities may operate in batch mode or in on-the-fly mode.
2. Virtual-drive encryption utilities create volumes which can be mounted in the file-system as virtual drives, complete with drive letters, e.g. "V:". These drives can contain both files and folders. The computer's file system can read, write and create documents in real time, directly in cleartext. Virtual-drive utilities operate in on-the-fly mode.
3. Full-drive encryption utilities encrypt entire storage devices, e.g., hard-drives, drive partitions and USB drives. Some of the utilities in this category can also encrypt the drive that the operating system itself is installed on.
4. Client-side encryption utilities for the cloud: A newly emerged category. These utilities encrypt files before they are uploaded to cloud sync/storage locations. The files are encrypted in transit and while at rest in the cloud. Cloud encryption utilities employ various forms of virtualization to present cleartext client-side, and they operate in on-the-fly mode.

Best Regards,
Tony Mccallum

11-29-2013, 10:44 AM,
RE: How do I encrypt a document /file etc?
(01-24-2013, 04:23 AM)VickyMilza Wrote: Hello Everybody,

I am running Vista and wish to encrypt a document or file so only I can read it. When I right click there is nothing in the drop down box that you click to encrypt or password protect as in my old Windows ME system. Help please anyone?

Thanks in advance
Vicky Milza

Which type document or file do you want to encrypt? Some files have built-in password protection function, for example, word, power point, excel, etc. which allow you to save them with a password; Some programs even don't have this function, such as picture, software and so on.
If you would like to cost little money you can buy a folder/file protector.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Document Control software VickyMilza 5 6,651 09-22-2022, 09:14 AM
Last Post: morganjin
  How to copy a text from secure Adobe pdf file? VickyMilza 2 5,287 08-16-2013, 08:33 AM
Last Post: robinson18
  What is the salary for a Document Controller in UAE? VickyMilza 1 6,874 04-01-2013, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Astih
  How do I password protect a word document? VickyMilza 0 2,947 03-26-2013, 04:09 AM
Last Post: VickyMilza
  Change Acrobat Document Restrictions VickyMilza 0 7,843 03-02-2013, 07:34 AM
  What would be the best option for document scanning for this business? VickyMilza 0 2,789 02-13-2013, 07:15 AM
  Definition of Document Retention VickyMilza 1 3,685 01-24-2013, 04:15 AM
Last Post: TonyMccallum
  Tips to Remove File Encryption VickyMilza 1 14,573 01-22-2013, 04:23 AM
Last Post: TonyMccallum