Hastelloy
09-22-2008, 03:46 PM,
Hastelloy
if the working pressure is a concerned reference for the coating material selection, with which kind of properties of the coating material I can correlate the specific pressure?

By the way, what the maximum working pressure is for Hastelloy (Sulzer Metco)?

Thank you so much!
09-24-2008, 07:40 PM,
RE: Hastelloy
Hi deepskysea

Is this similar to What's maximum pressure loading for WC10Co4Cr? ?

As I said before "it depends on how the pressure is applied, the conditions and specific coating qualities". Evenly applied static hydrostatic pressure is generally not a problem for coatings. It only becomes a problem when there are large differential pressures over a small area of coating, like either side of a seal or where pressure change is rapid and cyclic.

As far as compressor piston rod type applications, I'm afraid I have no information. I guess a high quality Hastelloy type coating might cope with pressures approaching that where WC/CoCr is used, but obviously not in all other respects. Many coatings fail in this type of application for many other reasons, which are not directly pressure related.
09-25-2008, 10:04 AM,
Thank you for your reply, Gordon!
It's a vessel component, which is required to coat the inner surface. 1000 bar hydrostatic pressure will be applied. So do you think it is ok?
09-25-2008, 02:46 PM,
Hi deepskysea

I think it should be ok mechanically pressure wise, as long as the vessel is sturdy i.e. it does not expand or move about (like a balloon) on pressurisation Happy0193 placing undue stress on coating.

I assume the main function of the coating is corrosion resistance. My concern would be for quality and choice of coating. Obviously, coating needs to be resistant to vessel contents, but probably more important, it needs to be a 100% effective barrier. At high pressure there will be more driving force for the environment to find its way through the coating (on initial pressure-ups anyway), so coating density and sealing are very important factors to consider.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hastelloy C275 HVOF powder Vijay Deshpande 1 4,858 04-08-2013, 12:03 PM
Last Post: loriolo
  Hastelloy C hardness? Intel55 4 15,390 02-25-2008, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Gordon