HVOF masking
12-18-2014, 03:58 PM,
HVOF masking
Hi Sirs,

Can somebody suggest a good supplier for HVOF masking?

I tried many different materials ( INC paste, tapes, paint, etc) but until now I did not find any material what can really resist for the HVOF spraying.

Many Thanks
12-18-2014, 05:39 PM,
RE: HVOF masking
(12-18-2014, 03:58 PM)Kopi81 Wrote: Hi Sirs,

Can somebody suggest a good supplier for HVOF masking?

I tried many different materials ( INC paste, tapes, paint, etc) but until now I did not find any material what can really resist for the HVOF spraying.

Many Thanks

You can try Dewal or green belting
12-18-2014, 06:30 PM,
In which country you want to be required good supplier
12-19-2014, 05:21 PM,
Hi Sir
I think that the best solution is to produce a protective form with 2 component liquid (or paste) silicone, that is used in aero industryes because has the ability to resist extreme temperatures, and has the advantages that can be used to protect a high number of pieces, with a low time application, if you have only one ppart to protect, you can use liquid silicone to protect it, and after work it is easily stripped.
Best regards
Luigi
02-01-2015, 03:07 PM,
(12-19-2014, 05:21 PM)loriolo Wrote: Hi Sir
I think that the best solution is to produce a protective form with 2 component liquid (or paste) silicone, that is used in aero industryes because has the ability to resist extreme temperatures, and has the advantages that can be used to protect a high number of pieces, with a low time application, if you have only one ppart to protect, you can use liquid silicone to protect it, and after work it is easily stripped.

Hi,

I have tried many types of high temp masking. For example, Dewal aluminium tape, DW501, DW503, DW500-40 even Praxair Machbloc. all unable to withstand the high temp and the pressure. Any masking for HVOF apart from those I have mentioned able to withstand the brutality of the HVOF?Sad

Thanks

02-02-2015, 09:11 AM,
try green belting
03-14-2015, 08:15 PM,
Which HVOF torch are you using?
What parts are you coating?
Are the parts rotating on a turn table?
What are your thickness requirements?

Depending on what it is you are doing, you can try Dymax poly resin masking "speed mask 718r". It is UV cured, comes in a tube, and it is hooked up to a foot pedal system. It burns off at around 1200F. You can build up the dymax to any desired thickness because the HVOF will burn off some of it, so be sure to put enough on there. If you are coating thin wall parts, this may not be your best option.

Another suggestion is to use hard tooling and fixtures. You can go to www.tellc.net and contact Technical Engineering in Manchester, CT. The owner's name is Maje. His products often require a little tweaking once you have them, but his fixtures will get the job done most of the time. He can even custom make fixtures for the parts you are coating.

McMaster and RHCarl are Pratt & Whitney and GE approved suppliers for Thermal Spray masking tapes. You may need to use multiple layers of thermal spray tape. I dont mean to insult your intelligence at all, but could it be possible that the tape isn't being pressed down completely?

I hope this helps.

Meeker77
03-18-2015, 10:28 AM,
(03-14-2015, 08:15 PM)Meeker77 Wrote: Which HVOF torch are you using?
What parts are you coating?
Are the parts rotating on a turn table?
What are your thickness requirements?

Depending on what it is you are doing, you can try Dymax poly resin masking "speed mask 718r". It is UV cured, comes in a tube, and it is hooked up to a foot pedal system. It burns off at around 1200F. You can build up the dymax to any desired thickness because the HVOF will burn off some of it, so be sure to put enough on there. If you are coating thin wall parts, this may not be your best option.

Another suggestion is to use hard tooling and fixtures. You can go to www.tellc.net and contact Technical Engineering in Manchester, CT. The owner's name is Maje. His products often require a little tweaking once you have them, but his fixtures will get the job done most of the time. He can even custom make fixtures for the parts you are coating.

McMaster and RHCarl are Pratt & Whitney and GE approved suppliers for Thermal Spray masking tapes. You may need to use multiple layers of thermal spray tape. I dont mean to insult your intelligence at all, but could it be possible that the tape isn't being pressed down completely?

I hope this helps.

Meeker77

Hi we used very successful a "One Component" Compound you can contact the Manufacturer by E-mail: hlmtbs@aol.com.
Excellent Product and Service. He will send Samples F.O.C for testing.
Good luck Kev
03-18-2015, 12:30 PM,
Hi we make HVOF Masking Compounds, Silicone based Materials.
Happy to help!
04-09-2015, 09:01 PM,
Hi,
we use hard tooling on repair of gearshaft GE90 by HVOF as replacement of Chromium plating. The problem that after 6-10 cycles you could have problem with fixture (you have to remove for fitting issues.

Available to give more details,

bYE

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Silicone rubber masking ArjunAnnam 2 251 02-09-2024, 09:47 PM
Last Post: Lars.Patrick
  HVAF Masking TimHewitt1 3 4,067 12-11-2019, 06:45 PM
Last Post: JJStick
  Need help with masking materials search Artyom 2 2,560 04-20-2019, 07:18 AM
Last Post: loriolo
  Gas Turbine Blades HVOF Coating masking demionkrishan 7 7,048 01-17-2018, 01:09 AM
Last Post: Taz
  HVOF masking demionkrishan 2 4,482 01-15-2016, 02:29 PM
Last Post: demionkrishan
  Masking of Cooling Holes gshejale 4 8,249 01-20-2008, 10:09 PM
Last Post: plasmajet1990