HVAF Masking
12-17-2018, 09:16 AM,
HVAF Masking
Good Morning All,
I am completely new to this industry and hoped to pick your collective brains...
I have read with interest the threads regarding HVAF (and those comparing it to HVOF) but I was wondering if anyone had any experiences using masking tapes/compounds in the HVAF process.
What products have you used? What works? What doesn't?
Thanks in advance.
08-13-2019, 10:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-13-2019, 10:06 PM by JJStick.)
RE: HVAF Masking
(12-17-2018, 09:16 AM)TimHewitt1 Wrote: Good Morning All,
I am completely new to this industry and hoped to pick your collective brains...
I have read with interest the threads regarding HVAF (and those comparing it to HVOF) but I was wondering if anyone had any experiences using masking tapes/compounds in the HVAF process.
What products have you used? What works? What doesn't?
Thanks in advance.

Hi Tim,

We manufacture HVAF equipment and have found that Mach-Block doesn't work for us. We found a product that does work, it is a two part putty available from National Alloy Solutions LLC., Contact Charles Felchak @ (713) 766-3666. The stuff isn't cheap but it works great. Good luck with your project.

Best regards,
John Rienecker
Kermetico Inc.
www.kermetico.com
08-20-2019, 12:19 PM,
Hi Tim
It's recommended that each user test masking compound or tapes under the conditions of their particular applications in order to determine its suitability, I used two masking compound for coatings application with a new ethanol HVOF gun system, that performs with the same HVAF flame speed (about 1000 m/s), but with higher temperature, and both masking products Blushiel from Dewal and Speedmask from Tapeworks withstands the rigors of the ethanol HVOF system environment, there are many others tapes that do not need to be cured that perform well if you use them in the appropriate way.
Best regards
Luigi
12-11-2019, 06:45 PM,
(08-20-2019, 12:19 PM)loriolo Wrote: Hi Tim
It's recommended that each user test masking compound or tapes under the conditions of their particular applications in order to determine its suitability, I used two masking compound for coatings application with a new ethanol HVOF gun system, that performs with the same HVAF flame speed (about 1000 m/s), but with higher temperature, and both masking products Blushiel from Dewal and Speedmask from Tapeworks withstands the rigors of the ethanol HVOF system environment, there are many others tapes that do not need to be cured that perform well if you use them in the appropriate way.

Hi Luigi,
You are correct that the ethanol gun and HVAF have similar velocities, however due to the lower temperature of combustion in our HVAF guns we are sending solid particles toward the part and the masking, the result is hot blasting of the masking that shreds it in short order. Other than the putty mentioned above we use sheet metal with HP flame spray tape under it to help hold it in place, along with three pieces of bailing wire.

Best regards,
John Rienecker
Technical Services Manager
Kermetico Inc.
www.kermetico.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Silicone rubber masking ArjunAnnam 2 251 02-09-2024, 09:47 PM
Last Post: Lars.Patrick
  Need help with masking materials search Artyom 2 2,567 04-20-2019, 07:18 AM
Last Post: loriolo
  HVOF masking demionkrishan 2 4,483 01-15-2016, 02:29 PM