Electrical Insulation for Motor Stator Core
04-16-2008, 03:08 PM,
Question  Electrical Insulation for Motor Stator Core
Hi there,

I am thinking of using electrically insulated coating instead of slot liner/paper to provide insulation barrier between the motor stator core and the coils.

Gordon has recommended Metcoseal 105SFP as electrically insulated coating. Do you think this is a suitable material to do the task? Is there any other alternative?

Existing slot liners are capable only up to 220 degree celsius. The expected operating temperature for the motor I am designing is 250 - 300 deg. Any suggestion and advice is much appreciated.

Thanks.
04-16-2008, 03:50 PM,
RE: Electrical Insulation for Motor Stator Core
Hi Newbie

Sign0016 to the Surface Engineering Forum.

Quote:Gordon has recommended Metcoseal 105SFP as electrically insulated coating.
Recommended, possibly as an one of many insulation coating for consideration Happy0193 The coating/powder you refer to is actually Metco 105SFP, well originally anyway. Metcoseal is one of a number of sealer products.

A thermal spray alumina based ceramic coating may be worth looking at along with paint on type ceramic based products which usually require some form of curing. See https://www.aremco.com for the general idea (stress not a company or product recommendation).
04-16-2008, 03:57 PM,
Gordon Wrote:Hi Newbie

Sign0016 to the Surface Engineering Forum.

Quote:Gordon has recommended Metcoseal 105SFP as electrically insulated coating.
Recommended, possibly as an one of many insulation coating for consideration Happy0193 The coating/powder you refer to is actually Metco 105SFP, well originally anyway. Metcoseal is one of a number of sealer products.

A thermal spray alumina based ceramic coating may be worth looking at along with paint on type ceramic based products which usually require some form of curing. See http://www.aremco.com for the general idea (stress not a company or product recommendation).

Happy0193 Thanks Gordon. I am not familiar with the thermal spray technology would it be a problem to achieve uniform thickness if the structure is complex? I am referring to the motor stator which has a number of alternate teeth and slots.
04-16-2008, 04:10 PM,
Hi Newbie

Thermal spray is a line of sight process and does not always handle complex shapes easily. I would be inclined to try out some of the paint or dip type coatings (sometimes referred to as conformal coatings) first and see how you get on. Are you looking at doing this in house or sub contacting out?
04-16-2008, 04:27 PM,
Gordon Wrote:Hi Newbie

Thermal spray is a line of sight process and does not always handle complex shapes easily. I would be inclined to try out some of the paint or dip type coatings (sometimes referred to as conformal coatings) first and see how you get on. Are you looking at doing this in house or sub contacting out?

I thought so. It is under development and depending on the cost would like to subcon out. My main aim is to get a coat with high dielectric strength capability and can withstand high temp environment. I will email you directly to find out more information and discuss this further.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Electrical conductivity of WC shantanu 2 7,301 12-25-2012, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Simon Kim
Lightbulb Electrical conductivity properties of WC Co Met.Eng. 1 6,640 11-05-2010, 01:51 AM
Last Post: Gordon
  insulation coating chinajack001 6 8,013 05-15-2008, 05:22 AM
Last Post: chinajack001