Crank-tap HVOF - spray.
05-07-2021, 06:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-23-2021, 09:02 AM by GeorgeStevens.)
Crank-tap HVOF - spray.
Post edited to show  Sign0014
05-07-2021, 01:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-07-2021, 02:09 PM by JeroenB.)
RE: Crank-tap HVOF - spray.
Hey George,

If I understand correctly this is about reconditioning a shaft part for a bearing fit. I think this is one of the most recurring applications for HVOF coatings. We do at least 2-3 parts/week for this purpose. We are based in antwerp, you can find more details on https://www.amw.be. If you want to share more information (drawing, picture) or request a quotation you can send it to sales@amw.be.

But honestly I think any HVOF spray shop will be able to process your part.

The alternatives that I can think of are:
1. Flame spraying: this is a cheaper alternative and I wouldn't recommend it for parts turning at a high rpm/load due to the lower bond strength
2. Turning and choosing a lower size bearing but as you said this weakens the shaft
3. Laser cladding: this is a good technique that typically provides quality coatings but it induces more heat in your workpiece which might cause deformations (especially on parts that have been in service for a long time)

Good luck!

Best regards,
Jeroen

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it possible to spray powder established for gas based HVOF in Fluid HVOF system?? sreenuvundela 0 3,509 04-18-2016, 07:52 AM
Last Post: sreenuvundela