Can't get it up... voltage that is
07-23-2008, 03:31 PM,
Can't get it up... voltage that is
Hi,
We struggling to get the correct voltage with my 3MB set up. We have a new gun, new nozzle, new electrode, correct distribution ring and when placed in our other booth we get the required 60-70 V using the parameters stated in the manual, Ag40 l/m, H2 6.6, 500 amp. We are only managing 54 V. We have checked for gas leaks at every accessible joint but no joy. What else could be stopping the voltage achieving target? Incidentally we last Friday it was reading 65 V.

Thanks

Jim
07-24-2008, 01:34 AM,
RE: Can't get it up... voltage that is
Hi Jim

Are you saying in one booth voltage is ok, and in the other it is too low? Would this also be different power supplies/control equipment as well?

Assuming good and correct hardware (GH nozzle?), the main thing that will effect voltage is plasma gas flow. Low voltage would indicate low flow, particularly hydrogen. I would stab a guess at the plasma control console, faulty voltmeter or gas flow meter/control.
07-24-2008, 08:23 AM,
Hello Gordon,

Yes using the gun in one booth gives the correct voltage but when installed in the other booth we can not achieve our 60-70V. We are using the correct hardware (I built this one myself!).
We have had trouble with the hydrogen flow we have swapped the flow meter controller with a different unit. Come to think of it I'm pretty sure we did manage 60-70 with the old unit on a couple of occasions. I think I'll try swapping it back and upping the pressure slightly at the meter.
Better get my spanners then ........

Jim
07-24-2008, 11:24 AM,
It lives!!!
Successfully sprayed some Metco 54.... well got it to stick at least.
Thanks to everyone for the help to get us this far. Still got some reliability issues to address then might move on to the 6P flame and HVOF.

Jim
07-24-2008, 11:57 PM,
TurbineRepair Wrote:It lives!!!
Successfully sprayed some Metco 54.... well got it to stick at least.
Thanks to everyone for the help to get us this far. Still got some reliability issues to address then might move on to the 6P flame and HVOF.

Jim

hi turbineRepair
in my experience with plasma,when voltage is not stable it means that the electode is moving down (voltage go down)when the electrode go up ,you have more voltage,
sometime electrode even news ones can present such problems,mesure it and compare it to old ones with witch you had a good voltage
good luck

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Voltage Increase in Sinplex pro Oerlikon Gun DMan 3 1,700 02-17-2023, 08:26 PM
Last Post: J!m
  Voltage vs. Current powerman 8 18,162 01-17-2023, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Thiyagarajan K