Brake discs
07-29-2016, 07:51 AM,
Brake discs
Hi,

Is it possible to repair the brake train discs by thermal spray ?

Thanks!

Ion
08-01-2016, 03:52 PM,
RE: Brake discs
We have looked at several brake applications using HVAF. Technically, we were able to do it, but the customers always wanted to pay such a low price for the coatings, that it did not work out. I encourage you to pursue the application.
08-03-2016, 08:58 PM,
(08-01-2016, 03:52 PM)djewell Wrote: We have looked at several brake applications using HVAF. Technically, we were able to do it, but the customers always wanted to pay such a low price for the coatings, that it did not work out. I encourage you to pursue the application.

I will do it.
Thanks!

Ion
08-04-2016, 03:34 AM,
ARC spray mix with 1 reel Stainless Steel and 1 reel Copper

Copper gives a good heat sink stainless gives you good wear properties
08-04-2016, 11:42 AM,
(08-04-2016, 03:34 AM)KevGarty Wrote: ARC spray mix with 1 reel Stainless Steel and 1 reel Copper

Hi,

Many thanks, I will try this process !

Ion
08-05-2016, 10:13 AM,
(08-04-2016, 03:34 AM)KevGarty Wrote: ARC spray mix with 1 reel Stainless Steel and 1 reel Copper

Hi,

What kind of stainless steel do you recommend me ?

Thanks!

Ion
08-05-2016, 03:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-05-2016, 03:34 PM by djewell.)
Does your customer have a specification for the hardness or chemistry of the brake disc? That is going to determine which material you should use. If your customer is looking for a recommendation, you have a lot more flexibility. I have seen 304 stainless steel used for brake applications, but it is relatively soft. A 400 series stainless steel would be harder. If you really want to make the brakes better than they were, then you could look at a hardfacing or carbide coating.
08-05-2016, 09:35 PM,
(08-05-2016, 03:34 PM)djewell Wrote: Does your customer have a specification for the hardness or chemistry of the brake disc? That is going to determine which material you should use. If your customer is looking for a recommendation, you have a lot more flexibility. I have seen 304 stainless steel used for brake applications, but it is relatively soft. A 400 series stainless steel would be harder. If you really want to make the brakes better than they were, then you could look at a hardfacing or carbide coating.

Hello David,

My customer does not have a technical specification.
He needs a viabil technical restauration solution for the wear brake discs.

Thanks!
Ion
08-14-2016, 11:27 PM,
I have heard of the SS-Cu wire mix.

I have restored brake drums with SS using Nitrogen atomizing gas, which worked well.

Carbide and/or ceramic coatings will need to be ground after application and can be very aggressive to the brake pads... That route can work if the entire system is reengineered. But, it gets really intereting because the porosity of the coating as well as the surface finish have an impact on the performance. Pure ceramics generally dont allow for good pad life because there is nowhere for the heat to go.

Maybe the Cu-SS solution is the best to "shoot from the hip".
Spraying since '87. University of Metco alum (99-16)

Available for consultation services- please send a PM
08-15-2016, 01:50 PM,
(08-14-2016, 11:27 PM)J!m Wrote: I have heard of the SS-Cu wire mix.

I have restored brake drums with SS using Nitrogen atomizing gas, which worked well.

Carbide and/or ceramic coatings will need to be ground after application and can be very aggressive to the brake pads... That route can work if the entire system is reengineered. But, it gets really intereting because the porosity of the coating as well as the surface finish have an impact on the performance. Pure ceramics generally dont allow for good pad life because there is nowhere for the heat to go.

Maybe the Cu-SS solution is the best to "shoot from the hip".

Thanks !

Ion
11-17-2016, 10:39 PM,
You can also use carbides sprayed by HVOF method.
The main problem is the requirement of heat transfer to brake discs.
I have idea to add some copper powder to this purpose but it can decrease friction coeficient

11-18-2016, 08:49 PM,
(11-17-2016, 10:39 PM)mgbaca Wrote: You can also use carbides sprayed by HVOF method.
The main problem is the requirement of heat transfer to brake discs.
I have idea to add some copper powder to this purpose but it can decrease friction coeficient

Thanks !

11-23-2016, 09:48 PM,
Hello Plasmajet
Long time ago I used on brake train disks, a coating with Ni13Cr (Stainless Steel 420) wire, sprayed with HVOFWire, it was economical coatings instead of changing the particular, and it worked very well for many years
Best regards
Luigi
11-24-2016, 06:06 PM,
(11-23-2016, 09:48 PM)loriolo Wrote: Hello Plasmajet
Long time ago I used on brake train disks, a coating with Ni13Cr (Stainless Steel 420) wire, sprayed with HVOFWire, it was economical coatings instead of changing the particular, and it worked very well for many years

Many thanks!

Ion