About Thermal Barrier Coating Porosity
04-09-2009, 03:38 AM,
About Thermal Barrier Coating Porosity
Hi, All~
Long time no see!
I have some questions need your professional help on TBC porosity of plasma spraying.
Now our lab evaluate the metallograph of TBC Class C TOP coat on porosity according to specification.
I wonder how many types of porosity are there on Class C top coat?
My question is, are some faveolate powder blocks seems normal in this kind of coat? is that a kind of porosity? We mount the speciman, resin is also immerging in this kind of hollows. and as I know, the normal porosity is stacked by melt powders which is hollow and a little bit larger.

Sincerely appreciate any help and comments~

Thanks&regards.

Amanda
04-09-2009, 08:44 PM,
RE: About Thermal Barrier Coating Porosity
Amando,
It is always diffucult to discuss micrstructure without photo. Generally porosity either comes from spray process, which is the true porosity, and comes from polishing pull-out. Most of the time these pull-outs are either large hollows or linear and usually being found in interpass area. Don't understand what "powder blocks" mean Happy0193. If you mean unmelt powder, then you should call yr spec. find out the allowance. Definitely too much unmelt indicates bad coating.

Hong

(04-09-2009, 03:38 AM)Amanda Wrote: Hi, All~
Long time no see!
I have some questions need your professional help on TBC porosity of plasma spraying.
Now our lab evaluate the metallograph of TBC Class C TOP coat on porosity according to specification.
I wonder how many types of porosity are there on Class C top coat?
My question is, are some faveolate powder blocks seems normal in this kind of coat? is that a kind of porosity? We mount the speciman, resin is also immerging in this kind of hollows. and as I know, the normal porosity is stacked by melt powders which is hollow and a little bit larger.

Sincerely appreciate any help and comments~

Thanks&regards.

Amanda
04-10-2009, 07:21 AM,
Hello, Hong,

Thanks for your response~
For "faveolate powder blocks" I meant some melt powders is faveolate, not unmelt powder block!
I know the true porosity and pullout you mentioned, but not know what the faveolate hollow is, it's different from the two types of porosity..so confused..
I'm thinking over to upload some pics for your reference later~
Anyway, thanks a lot for your response!

[quote='mehongbo' pid='3285' dateline='1239306277']
Amando,
It is always diffucult to discuss micrstructure without photo. Generally porosity either comes from spray process, which is the true porosity, and comes from polishing pull-out. Most of the time these pull-outs are either large hollows or linear and usually being found in interpass area. Don't understand what "powder blocks" mean Happy0193. If you mean unmelt powder, then you should call yr spec. find out the allowance. Definitely too much unmelt indicates bad coating.

Hong

[quote='Amanda' pid='3282' dateline='1239244731']
04-10-2009, 03:34 PM,
Hi Amanda

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand your inquiry. Please, no need for apology for English language, many native English people don't communicate as well as you Ashamed0002 Uploading a few images may certainly help.

Quote:I wonder how many types of porosity are there on Class C top coat?

Porosity is empty spaces or voids within coating. Not sure about types. I suppose they could be categorized into size or shape or maybe from how they originated/formed. Basically, porosity forms from

* Incomplete filling of space when particle splats and deforms
* voids generated through contraction stresses on cooling (including cracks, micro-cracks and particle interface separation)
* voids already present in powder particles (particular reference to hollow sphere TBC powders)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to determine the porosity level of Metco 320NS abradable coating? viewwer 8 8,019 02-17-2023, 09:16 PM
Last Post: J!m
  Yellow Spot on Thermal Barrier Coating achmadarifudinh 11 4,870 11-30-2020, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Lemster68
  Porosity in D gun coating DavidH 1 2,795 06-26-2017, 08:48 PM
Last Post: Vadim Verlotski
  Thermal barrier delamination problem Hector Monjardin 2 4,454 09-25-2015, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Joris Kraak
  Thermal Barrier Coating Aluminum Substrate for corrosion resistance alaskangrown 4 6,586 03-02-2015, 06:43 PM
Last Post: alaskangrown
  High velocity thermal barrier coating djewell 2 5,179 09-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Last Post: farzin_g1
  WC-Co coating porosity Zhiguo 9 12,804 12-24-2010, 07:21 AM
Last Post: Zhiguo
Cool Instrument to check coating thickness of Thermal Barrier Coatings odski0317 5 17,699 12-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Last Post: dienngothe
  Thermal Barrier William Alexander 5 7,779 10-23-2008, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Gordon
  Oxide and porosity in WC-CoCr coating ycwbycwb 4 12,482 05-10-2008, 02:39 PM
  Causes to Porosity Defect on Porous TBC Coating Alexangel1226 7 15,565 02-25-2008, 01:59 PM