14E portable on sailboat
06-17-2011, 03:03 AM,
14E portable on sailboat
I want to coat anchors and chain while sailing, using 85/15 and a 14E gun. I will be in hot humid weather. I know I need propane, oxygen, air and dryer. Any suggestions how to make this portable? A dryer is 4'x4' cabinet. Compressor unknown. Idea is to make a little extra cash while sailing on 37' sailboat to Central America.

Can i use oxygen tanks tethered to one regulator? Any alternative other than large dryer?

06-17-2011, 01:54 PM,
RE: 14E portable on sailboat
Why not use a twin wire arc gun? Who wants to carry all those cylinders?
06-17-2011, 03:31 PM,
RE: 14E portable on sailboat
Metco's spec on the 14E calls for 30 cfm at 65 psi. A relatively small, portable compressor could be had for this purpose and would likely have a surge tank built in. If you need to abrasive blast, then you'll have problems though. You'd want at least a 185 cfm compressor to run a 3/8 blast nozzle, but at that point you are looking at some small trailer mounted models that could cramp your style on the sailboat. If you run a 1/8 nozzle (which you could with a smaller compressor) it could take you a day just to blast a decent sized anchor. Might be better to just rent compressors near the shipyards at which you'd be working.

I'm guessing you already have the 14E, and thats why you aren't considering an arc gun. With an arc set up you'd lose the cylinders, but you'd need 3 phase power. I don't know if you can make it profitable, but if you can let me know where to sign up. I wouldn't mind living on a sailboat in the gulf.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  portable sand blasting machine Arturas 1 2,117 03-28-2019, 12:21 PM
Last Post: Vadim Verlotski
  portable coating thickness measurement Arturas 1 8,539 10-31-2006, 07:04 PM
Last Post: Gordon