stainless and cor-ten steels
06-22-2009, 02:44 PM,
stainless and cor-ten steels
Hi,

I'm an architect with a query - I hope this is ok. Are there any bi-metallic issues with using stainless steel and cor-ten steel together? As they are both steel I would have thought not but I thought I'd check to be sure. The situation is stainless steel lettering mounted onto cor-ten as external signage.

Thanks.
06-22-2009, 07:22 PM,
RE: stainless and cor-ten steels
Hi Noodle

Sign0016 to the Surface Engineering Forum.

I'm not sure if there are any significant bi-metallic corrosion issues between stainless steel and weathering steels. I know weathering steels basically rely on being uncoated and forming a stable rust/patina protective surface. Interference with the formation/ageing of a stable protective film can render it being no better than normal steel i.e. pointless choosing cor-ten if you plan to paint it.

I think a more important consideration will be how you plan to attach the stainless steel lettering. Avoid forming any crevices where moisture and dirt can build-up.

(sorry link now dead)
09-04-2017, 11:45 AM,
I have heard that weathering steels can continue rusting even years after they have been produced. I reckon it depends on how well the steel is made! But still, weathering steel isn't completely immune to corrosion, so be aware of that. Not sure how well stainless and weathering steel work together though.
09-05-2017, 05:04 PM,
Hi Noodle
As all stainless steels are cathodic respect to the iron, there will be a sacrificial corrosion on it, it depend of the amount of nickel or chrome it contains, it will be more electrically positive, that's one of the reason why they do coating with aluminum (TSA) as corrosion sacrificial metal on stainless steel tubes
Best regards
Luigi

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Big Grin Corrosion of steels in carbamide technovel 2 6,940 12-10-2008, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Gordon