smells from pvd chamber
03-21-2007, 01:47 AM,
smells from pvd chamber
Hi,

I am working at a university lab. We have a magnetron sputtering chamber, we generally coat Titanium Nitride, occasionally other coatings. We use both turbo and mechanical pump. We achive 5x10-6 torr when we wait overnight. But during the coating I can smell what we are coating. Because everything is under vacuum this shouldn't come from the chamber. How atoms escape from the chamber and what should we do about that?

Thanks,
03-21-2007, 07:43 PM,
RE: smells from pvd chamber
Hi Sparky

Sign0016 to the Surface Engineering Forum.

If you have a leak on the chamber, I would think far more gas would be leaking in than out. I would get the equipment checked for leaks. I suspect if the smell is coming from the equipment process, then it will be from the exhaust side.
03-22-2007, 12:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-22-2007, 12:43 AM by Gordon.)
RE: smells from pvd chamber
If you have a leak in the chamber, as you most certainly have, then remember that every gas flow in a channel has an counter flow in the opposite direction. This happens in every tube, just embracing as a very the thin layer the outer surface.
br bhe

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to spray combustion chamber liner Michaellearnstocoat 5 6,204 09-06-2014, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Stephen Booth