sealing gate valve WC coated problem
07-15-2010, 07:49 PM,
Hi All member
We coated WC on gate and seat for oil industry.During testing valves under 5000 psi pressure of water in closed situation of valve some droplet formed on the surface of the gate it seems water diffuse from outside of the gate to the WC coat and seeped out through the surface of gate.!!!!
It is only my imagine.because i cheked it severally we do not have any another way for seeping out of water through the coating!
Is it possible? and it related to prosity of coating or it is not possible.?
Our coating process is gas hvof.
Attached image should be useful.
Ehsan

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

07-16-2010, 02:25 PM,
RE: sealing gate valve WC coated problem
Hi Ehsan

Porosity and or coating cracks. Try sealing coating with an epoxy sealer.

Over what time scale are you observing leak. I assume this is not carry over from closing valve or condensation effects.
07-16-2010, 08:25 PM,
Dear Gordon
When we start the test We can watch small droplet after 1 min and they are growing by time.
I absoulotly believe that droplets seep out from very very small holes on wc coating .
I have same idea with you that we do not have condensation effects but it seems that water carry among the coating from outside of seat to inside section.
I cheked for any cracks with PT but we do not have any cracks.
Regards.
Ehsan
07-17-2010, 03:37 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-17-2010, 04:09 PM by brazer.)
I think it is porosity because when we sprayed ceramic coating (corundum) and after we carried out the impregnation with lake to fill pores we could see this process as bubbles of air were formed in during the impregnation.
07-19-2010, 12:21 PM,
Based upon your description and the picture two issues seem to be present.

1) Porosity is allowing water to wick through the coating giving the appearance that the water is "seeping" through the gate

2) There appears to be a higher incidence of leakage around where the gate meets the seat. This suggests that the valve is not seating properly. At 5000 psi there is very little margin for error at the interface of the gate and seat, and it appears from the picture that either the surface finish in the sealing interface is inadequate, or there is not sufficient interference fit to affect sealing. Check both and solve the porosity and I suspect you will find your solution.
07-19-2010, 10:50 PM,
There is no sealer available which can withstand 5000 psi. You have to spray with parameters which close the porosity in the coating. Only a few guns can do it. The new M3 gun from UniqueCoat Technologies recently passed this test at 15,000 psi.
07-21-2010, 08:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-21-2010, 09:05 PM by ehsan.)
Dear Michiganman
We can solve leak between seat and gate and it is not important,the most problem is that we have leak among of gate!!
Dear Gordon
I used one kind of dilute epoxy sealer(poly amin base) but I can not see any diffusion of sealer to the coating .Did you have any experience in sealer for WC coating and it can withstand that pressure?
Ehsan
07-22-2010, 07:07 AM,
Hello friends,
my name is martin Iam from Germany and working with HVOF now 8 years.
I do have a problem with the final condition of roughness. The customer like to have a surface roughness after spraying by WC of Ra 13 ... 14 µm ( we spray drums for paper industry )
Used gun DJ 1000 / 4 passes Amperit 526.595 after that 2 passes Woka 3208 = Ra 11 µm
What can I do to increase the roughness. A friend told me to reduce the heat. Is that right ? And how can I do it ?
Parameters are 4 passes with distnace 200 mm / Amperit
2 passes with distance 150 mm / Woka

Thanks for help
Greetings Martin
07-22-2010, 04:10 PM,
Hi Martin,

I am working on increase Ra now and got some experience. If you choose rougher cut powder and longer nozzle of your HVOF gun, you can get bigger Ra. If it doesn't work, please use APS for the final 2 pass layer.
08-03-2010, 04:07 PM,
(07-16-2010, 02:25 PM)Gordon Wrote: Hi Ehsan

Over what time scale are you observing leak. I assume this is not carry over from closing valve or condensation effects.

Hi Gordon
Recently i found that my customer did not lapping process after grinding is it possible if we had a lapping process we get better result in sealing test some porosity fill in lapping process?
Please offer me your experienced epoxy sealer on wc coating?
Ehsan
08-07-2010, 06:46 PM,
(08-03-2010, 04:07 PM)ehsan Wrote:

Hi Gordon
Recently i found that my customer did not lapping process after grinding is it possible if we had a lapping process we get better result in sealing test some porosity fill in lapping process?
Ehsan

Hi Ehsan

Yes, I would have thought surface finish would be critical.

No real experience with sealing ball valves. I know Praxair always epoxy seals their compressor piston rod coatings. I know not the same, but similar very high pressure sealing applications.

Ideally, vacuum seal with low viscosity epoxy resin. Failing that, warm part ~50 C before epoxy application, this partially evacuates coating of some air and lowers viscosity of epoxy resin. Use long cure time epoxies not the rapid cure stuff.

Quote:There is no sealer available which can withstand 5000 psi
I see no reason for epoxy sealers failing. Very high relative strength to coatings and contained/supported by coating. Only problem is getting the stuff in the coating.
08-13-2010, 11:50 AM,
Hi Gordon
What is your mean for Vacuum seal ?I should stuff resin in vacuum condition?
Did you have any experience in post heat treatment of HVOF coating for fusing powders and maybe fill the prosity?
Ehsan

(08-07-2010, 06:46 PM)Gordon Wrote:
(08-03-2010, 04:07 PM)ehsan Wrote:

Hi Gordon
Ehsan

Hi Ehsan

Yes, I would have thought surface finish would be critical.

No real experience with sealing ball valves. I know Praxair always epoxy seals their compressor piston rod coatings. I know not the same, but similar very high pressure sealing applications.

Ideally, vacuum seal with low viscosity epoxy resin. Failing that, warm part ~50 C before epoxy application, this partially evacuates coating of some air and lowers viscosity of epoxy resin. Use long cure time epoxies not the rapid cure stuff.

Quote:There is no sealer available which can withstand 5000 psi
I see no reason for epoxy sealers failing. Very high relative strength to coatings and contained/supported by coating. Only problem is getting the stuff in the coating.
08-14-2010, 07:39 PM,
Hi ehsan

Quote:What is your mean for Vacuum seal ?I should stuff resin in vacuum condition?

Yes, you need resin and coating at low pressure so that air is pull out of both coating and resin. When pressure is returned to ambient ( possibly pressurized further) there is a driving force to push resin into porosity. Ideally, part and resin should be under vacuum separately before bringing together (helps evacuate coating of air better).

Quote:Did you have any experience in post heat treatment of HVOF coating for fusing powders and maybe fill the prosity?

Only with PTFE onto TSC's. Don't think penetration would be adequate with this though. If you mean fusing with NiCrSiB, then I suggest coating valve with a WC/self fluxing alloy and fusing coating or apply by PTA or other welding process only.
12-14-2010, 09:17 AM,
Hi,

The conversation is rather old ! Hope the problem is solved , The reason I joined this site is to say that I have experience of exactly the same problem and we solved it before so I,m ready to co-operate in this case !

Overall direction of the history of covnersations is in correct directions but some fundumental steps are incorrect so it needs some changes from the base up to end stage of filling the face with epoxy.

Our main activity was repairing of shear gate valves of Cameron brand which is used in oil drilling facilities. 5000 PSI is rather low pressure for such application while 15000 psi is some how normal pressure.

Regards
Asiaf
12-14-2010, 08:39 PM,
Hi Asiaf
Thanks for your reply and I should say I could not solve that problem completely.
your complete experience will be appreciated .
I used different kind of epoxy but our coating did not has any absorption.
Rgd.
Ehsan

Hi,

The conversation is rather old ! Hope the problem is solved , The reason I joined this site is to say that I have experience of exactly the same problem and we solved it before so I,m ready to co-operate in this case !

Overall direction of the history of covnersations is in correct directions but some fundumental steps are incorrect so it needs some changes from the base up to end stage of filling the face with epoxy.

Our main activity was repairing of shear gate valves of Cameron brand which is used in oil drilling facilities. 5000 PSI is rather low pressure for such application while 15000 psi is some how normal pressure.

Regards
Asiaf
[/quote]
02-02-2011, 04:09 PM,
Hi
Any body has a new solution for this problem or not?
I checked different way but did not get compelete result.
Ehsan

Hi,

Regards
Asiaf
[/quote]
[/quote]

06-27-2022, 12:27 PM,
(07-15-2010, 07:49 PM)ehsan Wrote: Hi All member
We coated WC on gate and seat for oil industry.During testing valves under 5000 psi pressure of water in closed situation of valve some droplet formed on the surface of the gate it seems water diffuse from outside of the gate to the WC coat and seeped out through the surface of gate.!!!!
It is only my imagine.because i cheked it severally we do not have any another way for seeping out of water through the coating!
Is it possible? and it related to prosity of coating or it is not possible.?
Our coating process is gas hvof.
Attached image should be useful.
Ehsan

Hi Lapping is important aspect if it is not blue matched properly than chances of gap is there. Secondly, Coating by nature is porous so chance are there that water is flowing through it.
I recommended you Kennametal Conforma clad which can be machined also and having better wear résistance than HVOF.

Sushil Kumar
Business Development Manager-India
sushil.kumar@kennametal.com
T  :+918022198226
M :+919780891405,
Kennametal India Limited, |  CIN: L27109KA1964PLC001546 
Kennametal India Limited, 8-9th Mile, Tumkur Road, Bangalore-560073 Karnataka-India www.kennametal.com
Kennametal® manufactures sophisticated alloys in the form of castings, powders, coatings, consumables, and machined parts that resist wear, corrosion, and abrasion

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Detection of Coated Surface ServiceTech 2 2,591 10-08-2018, 07:59 PM
Last Post: ServiceTech
  Valve seat coating shantanu 2 4,181 02-19-2015, 03:23 AM
Last Post: Axis Machine
  Hard coating on valve Edson 3 5,064 02-19-2015, 03:18 AM
Last Post: Axis Machine
  ball valve and gate valve coating Jaydev 2 5,708 01-29-2015, 05:06 PM
Last Post: IgorGarcia
  Tungsten Carbide HVOF Coated Ball Valves grinding and Lapping constraints --- Reg sreenuvundela 4 11,403 07-29-2013, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Met.Eng.
  WC-Co by HVOF on Monel Ball valve raviswanadha 4 6,325 10-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Last Post: raviswanadha
  substrate deformation of WC coating in gate valve ehsan 2 5,983 12-14-2010, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Asiaf
  Hardness Test in TC coated surface Vishy 4 10,982 10-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Gordon
  Black coated aluminum fin & Hydrophilic coated aluminum fin comparison Lumbantoruan 3 12,804 01-30-2009, 07:51 AM
Last Post: Lumbantoruan
  valve opening procedure sutech 7 10,043 11-12-2008, 05:46 AM
Last Post: Intel55
  Can plasma be applied to coated substrates? Steph 4 7,448 10-10-2008, 06:25 PM
  Coated abrasives grading systems: FEPA, mesh, micron Rogier 3 16,466 06-29-2007, 04:20 PM
  Shrink fitting of coated shafts using low temperatures Vijay Deshpande 2 6,381 04-15-2007, 08:03 AM
Last Post: drramc