radio frequency shielding by Zn and Al
03-13-2008, 12:53 PM,
radio frequency shielding by Zn and Al
Dear All,

I have read from several sources that Zn is a radio frequency shielding material, from this information can I conclude that Zn would not be deected by radar or it will have a low magnetic signiture?

I also would appriciate information about the radio frequency interference and electro magnetic interference info of Al.

I am trying to comment on the applicability of TS zinc and aluminum on naval vessels.

Thanks to all inadvance,

Best Regards;

UBG
03-13-2008, 04:13 PM,
RE: radio frequency shielding by Zn and Al
Hi basakglkn

Radio frequency interference RFI shielding is really only necessary on non-electrically conductive material enclosers of sensitive electronic devices. The coating property that is important is electrical conductivity. Steel enclosers would not benefit from a zinc coating.

If you are thinking of shielding the internal electronics of a vessel constructed of fibre reinforced plastic or wood (non-electrical conductive structure) then Zn and Al would be effective. I have my doubts as to whether these coatings would provide any or significant "stealth" effect from being detected on radar though.

Edit:
Quote:Steel enclosers would not benefit from a zinc coating.
with respect to RFI and EMI. Obviously it would benefit from anti-corrosion Happy0193
03-13-2008, 05:54 PM,
RE: radio frequency shielding by Zn and Al
I had carried out some expiremental work on RFI and EMI shielding FRP cabinets used for defense equipments. How ever I could not find out final out come of this work as it was classified.
Vijay Deshpande

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Frequency of spraying the test sample joanwang 1 3,776 12-11-2012, 10:43 PM
Last Post: kschewe