process for spraying Aluminum
10-30-2009, 02:55 AM,
process for spraying Aluminum
Hello all,
First post and I am extremely happy to find this forum. I have no idea what so ever about and of the processes exibited and discussed in this forum but I would like to buy a reasonable system to coat aluminum pressure rings for a use in an automotive pressure plate in a clutch system. This would be the portion of the plate the rides against the clutch disc be it organic or sintered. This has been done in Europe with success and has been abandoned of late. Any suggestions regarding process and coating material would be greatly appreciated.

Regards AM
11-03-2009, 05:10 PM,
RE: process for spraying Aluminum
Hi drbooba1

Sign0016 to the Surface Engineering Forum.

Difficult to make suggestions without having good knowledge of the clutch system. Do you know the type of coating materials used previously? What are the ideal properties wanted from the coating?
11-03-2009, 09:42 PM,
Hello Gordon,

Thank you for the welcome it is most appreaciated. There is not a lot of inforamation readily available from the companies that have successfully coated clutch pressure rings in the U.S. and the European companies such as SACHS, are quite proprietary. From what I gathered it is a blend of tungsten and carbide, 85% tungsten 15% carbide, I have no idea if this is feasable, or even correct as it is hearsay. The metal spray would be in the neighborhood of .75mm thick applied to a 6061 or 2024 Aluminum ring that will act as a clutch engage and dissengage assembly in direct contact with either a organic Kevlar type material or a sintered and somewhat abrasive material with a friction coefficent of .1-.2 there will be a temperature component as well. It would be helpful to know what type of process would be best Powder, Wire, HOV etc as I would like moderately or cost effictively incorporate the process in my business.

Thank you again any direction would be helpful
Randy
11-04-2009, 11:27 AM,
We have previous experience of steel alloys by arc spraying and plasma sprayed ceramics on aluminium brake discs and drums. This has normally been for competition parts. Please contact us so that we may review your application in more detail.

Kind regards,

Stuart.
Stuart Milton
Metallisation Ltd
https://www.metallisation.com
11-05-2009, 03:20 PM,
Hi drbooba1

Quote:From what I gathered it is a blend of tungsten and carbide, 85% tungsten 15% carbide, I have no idea if this is feasable, or even correct as it is hearsay.

I guess this is probably a tungsten carbide/cobalt type coating. Ideally sprayed using HVOF/HVAF processes. Certainly sounds a good candidate. But as Stuart indicated there could be many alternative coatings/processes that could be worthy of consideration.

Certainly, contacting the equipment suppliers would be a good place to start for ideas and potential cost of implementing process in house.
11-05-2009, 07:24 PM,
Thank you both for your replies, I will start with Metco and see what I can do.

Randy
11-11-2009, 10:00 PM,
We regularly spray on aluminum clutch components with AC-HVAF. I would be happy to assist you with your application. As one of the few HVAF coaters on this forum, I will be happy to share my experience.
11-12-2009, 04:54 AM,
Thanks djewell I'll take you up on that and send you a PM

Randy

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flame spraying copper to aluminum Steamhammer 2 5,067 03-23-2015, 05:32 PM
Last Post: djewell
  Process Gasses Purity Impact towards Plasma Spray Process, equipment or outcome Alexangel1226 8 12,303 06-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Eric Tolliver
  Black coated aluminum fin & Hydrophilic coated aluminum fin comparison Lumbantoruan 3 12,803 01-30-2009, 07:51 AM
Last Post: Lumbantoruan