nitrile cutless bearings
01-23-2014, 10:34 PM,
nitrile cutless bearings
Hi there I am needing some input on researching what coating would work best with a nitrile cutless bearing that runs on a stainless marine prop shaft It currently has a ceramic coating on it (that is worn and needs to be resprayed). we could reapply a ceramic with our flame spray gun. We also have hvof at our shop, would a hvof coating work well in this environment and bearing type. Any input would be greatly appreciated
01-24-2014, 07:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-27-2014, 07:24 PM by Brent.)
RE: nitrile cutless bearings
Well I have gathered some more info that I will add to see if anyone has any opinions on the matter. This is the advice I have been given in regards to using a HVOF applied coating. The Cutless Bearing requirement is for a smooth surface on the shaft so that water is held there between the rubber and shaft to reduce friction to zero in operation. To get a smooth surface on the shaft a HVOF coating is best with a highly bonded, dense and wear resistant coating produced after grinding. (The other coating processes would contain some porosity at the surface and roughness which would increase friction). Due to a chloride environment we propose a WC10Ni coating. The current coating is chrome oxide ceramic applied with flame spray not plasma. Is there less friction with a hvof wc coating or a ceramic?
01-28-2014, 01:03 AM,
I would have thought HVOF would be the best bet, it sounds like a similar application to hard chrome replacement.

60 Rc NiCrBSi ground and polished ? Or your WC/Ni that you mentioned would prob be good
01-29-2014, 04:47 PM,
(01-28-2014, 01:03 AM)KevGarty Wrote: I would have thought HVOF would be the best bet, it sounds like a similar application to hard chrome replacement.

60 Rc NiCrBSi ground and polished ? Or your WC/Ni that you mentioned would prob be good

Thanks that is my thinking also but I need to be able to say why a certain process applied coating in this application is better than another with data to back up my argument.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BABBIT BEARINGS Vijay Deshpande 8 20,961 11-08-2014, 05:42 PM
Last Post: Jim Weber
  Babbitt Cement Mill Bearings Bagri 3 8,925 04-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Last Post: Vijay Deshpande