mechanical strenght of TSC vs industrial and marine paint
02-18-2008, 02:56 PM,
mechanical strenght of TSC vs industrial and marine paint
Dear members;

I was wondering if anyone has been involved in any project of TSC of a ship or similar vessels? I am trying to estimate the performance of TSM esp. Zn and Al in marine applications. Although I have experience in TSC of bridges, polygon towers and similar structural steel this is a completely new area for me. I would be grateful even if you can provide some guidelines.

How can I access data related to friction and impact resistance of thermal sprayed Al and Zinc?

I need this data to compare performance of TS aluminum and zinc on coating of ship decks(friction resistance), impact and wear resistance to estimate the performance of the coating on boardside and hull, resistance against the drift on course(cruise).

Any information or reference related to these properties would be highly appreciated.

Thank you inadvance

�.Ba?ak G�LEKEN
Metalugical Engineer
02-18-2008, 04:52 PM,
RE: mechanical strenght of TSC vs industrial and marine paint
I'm not aware of any hard data on the friction and impact resistance.

I can say from experience that the majority of ship hulls that are metal sprayed are sprayed with aluminium. If you arc spray, you will generally acheive a higher bond strength than with flame spray.

This is not a scientific test but I suggest you find some TSC coatings and hit them as hard as you can with a large ball ended hammer. There is unlikely to be significant damage as the coatings are very durable and have some ductility so you do not get 'chipping' of the coating. On a slightly more scientific note, you could run a metal sprayed sample through a paint impact test rig and check out the results.

You can spray rough coatings if desired for friction surfaces or smoother coatings if desired. Tyically, a TSC coating would have a similar roughness to 120 grit sandpaper (I could start quoting Ra figures etc but we all know what sandpaper feels like). However, coatings in the marine environment are nearly always sealed and/or painted and/or have anti-fouling applied over the top so I would not think that drag would be much of an issue in the finished boat.
Stuart Milton
Metallisation Ltd
https://www.metallisation.com
02-19-2008, 03:48 AM,
Hi basakglkn

Can't add much more than Stuart above. If you haven't seen this thread, it might be worth a look anti-slip-coating

Arc spray is good for achieving different roughness profiles. As Stuart said the hull may be coated with anti-fouling coating which will smooth out texture. Else where coating texture can be controlled by arc spray parameters (atomising air pressure, air caps etc.)
02-19-2008, 08:09 AM,
Thanks for the information. Smile

These answers support my assumptions.

But here is another question: Why Metallize if you are going to use an antifouling over itQuestion I know that Zn has similar properties like an antifouling paint, zebra mussles can not survive on Zn metallized concrete e.g. dam gates.. but all the examles I have come accros about ship hulls are either inonel(for wear resistance i assume) or Al with 2-3 layers of epoxy on top. Why is this thanQuestionSign0009
02-19-2008, 08:11 AM,
R.S.: I have checked thetread about anti-slip already. It is also valuable info Smile
02-19-2008, 10:12 AM,
Sorry - not an expert on anti-fouling but I believe that the two coatings are designed to do different things.

The aluminium is a corrosion protection coating. It is normally sealed with a thin (by thin, I mean runny, not thick) sealer to prevent ingress of water through the porosity that is inherant in metal spray coatings. The sealer coat needs to penetrate the porosity and does not need to have a dry film thickness. The 2-3 top coats are normally for decoration as people don't want to have a grey/white alumium boat.

The anti-fouling coat is then put on as just that and has no corrosion protection properties.
Stuart Milton
Metallisation Ltd
https://www.metallisation.com
05-14-2012, 03:44 PM,
Thermal Spray Coatings is another to modify the surface properties of the method. Application of thermal spray process, including by increasing the kinetic energy of the heat and coating materials. While industrial paints are more complex than just painting a large commercial space. First, construction clean-up.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mechanical cladding Artyom 0 1,763 02-27-2019, 08:18 AM
Last Post: Artyom
  Suitable material model to predict mechanical performance iniyanthiru 0 1,846 09-22-2018, 09:15 AM
Last Post: iniyanthiru
Bell mechanical and physical properties of TSA coatings madanpal29 0 2,432 07-06-2017, 02:23 PM
Last Post: madanpal29
  Zinc arc spray vs Zinc-rich silicate or epoxy paint KeDuan 1 3,655 04-23-2016, 06:05 AM
Last Post: Stephen Booth
  What paint finish most closely resembles LDPE? ship69 0 3,965 01-29-2016, 05:25 AM
Last Post: ship69
  Marine propeller Mr.N 1 3,038 10-27-2013, 11:10 PM
Last Post: loriolo
  Marine Corrosion Mr.N 5 6,659 10-02-2013, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Mr.N
  Ceramic Paint for Cleaning Ramin 0 3,085 09-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Ramin
Question problem about powder paint application over Zn metalizing basakglkn 8 16,721 05-23-2012, 08:21 AM
Last Post: Jaydev
  PAINT VIBRATION LINES grchyd 2 4,899 05-15-2012, 02:10 PM
Last Post: andrrewdamien
  Corrosion of Stainless in Marine Environment Adamgnt 5 11,168 04-20-2010, 03:36 PM
Last Post: pulaunias
  Mechanical Books andrewstaflin 1 4,143 04-18-2009, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Gordon
  Marine Coating Applications istech 2 6,976 11-20-2008, 04:17 PM
Last Post: drramc
  Marine Shaft Repair istech 0 5,294 11-13-2008, 10:52 PM
Last Post: istech
  Marine Diesel Engine Liner mcg_pinsbushing 12 16,041 05-16-2008, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Gordon