apparent density and tungsten dentsity
05-17-2019, 08:25 AM,
apparent density and tungsten dentsity
Hi Friends

what's the difference between Apparent density and dentsity for tungsten, for example in data sheets of Woka 3653 powder apparent density is 2.9 - 5.8g / cm3 while tungsten density is 15.63g / cm3.

Thanks

gito
05-18-2019, 06:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-18-2019, 06:32 AM by loriolo.)
RE: apparent density and tungsten dentsity
Hi Gito
Ok, what system do you have? I could suppose that you did not did any technologic training, as a rule, after I perform an APS/ HVOF system installation do technologic Training, and this information is underlying to understand coating applications and to do précises analytic estimates coatings costs, Apparent density is the density of the powder in g/cm3 (powder weight as you buy), and Coating density is the assonance density of the coating in gr/m3 (coating mass). In a Powder MSDS you could read “powder required (coverage or volume of the coating) in Kg/m2/0,1 mm, this is the approximative weight of the coating
Example:To calculate coating cost you know Powder coverage or approximative Coating weight : 1,563 Kg/m2/0,1mm = 1563 gr/10.000 Cm2/0,01cm = 1563gr/100 Cm3 =15,63 g/cm3
Best regards
Luigi
05-20-2019, 03:14 AM,
(05-18-2019, 06:05 AM)loriolo Wrote: Hi Gito
Ok, what system do you have? I could suppose that you did not did any technologic training, as a rule, after I perform an APS/ HVOF system installation do technologic Training, and this information is underlying to understand coating applications and to do précises analytic estimates coatings costs, Apparent density is the density of the powder in g/cm3 (powder weight as you buy), and Coating density is the assonance density of the coating in gr/m3 (coating mass). In a Powder MSDS you could read “powder required (coverage or volume of the coating) in Kg/m2/0,1 mm, this is the approximative weight of the coating
Example:To calculate coating cost you know Powder coverage or approximative Coating weight : 1,563 Kg/m2/0,1mm = 1563 gr/10.000 Cm2/0,01cm = 1563gr/100 Cm3 =15,63 g/cm3

Hi Luigi
I am use HVOF DJ 2700 with fuel propene .

Thanks

Gito

05-20-2019, 12:58 PM,
Dear Gito,
Density is just used to calculate the required powder for coating but
Apparent density is one of the important characteristic to define the porosity,
We can say “specific gravity” of a powder, which includes all the spaces between particles and the pores
within the powder particles themselves.

For an example WC might have a density of 15.63 g/cm3, whereas powdered
Tungsten carbide may only be 3 to 5.8 g/cm3 because of poor particle packing.

If your Quality of coating is poor it can be one of the reason because it will affects
feed rate and trajectory. i have faced porosity issue few months back and i tried to
shoot out the issues one by one and finally found issue is on my powder which i have used.
do not believe the supplied MSDS datas. Always send powder sample to third party and confirm
with the result.

Requirement of the Tungsten carbide powder is increased a lot so there are many
quality issues on powder particle size, shape, method of manufacture and apparent density.

Regards,
Krishan
05-21-2019, 02:36 AM,
[quote='demionkrishan' pid='11961' dateline='1558353491']
Dear Gito,
Density is just used to calculate the required powder for coating but
Apparent density is one of the important characteristic to define the porosity,
We can say “specific gravity” of a powder, which includes all the spaces between particles and the pores
within the powder particles themselves.

For an example WC might have a density of 15.63 g/cm3, whereas powdered
Tungsten carbide may only be 3 to 5.8 g/cm3 because of poor particle packing.

If your Quality of coating is poor it can be one of the reason because it will affects
feed rate and trajectory. i have faced porosity issue few months back and i tried to
shoot out the issues one by one and finally found issue is on my powder which i have used.
do not believe the supplied MSDS datas. Always send powder sample to third party and confirm
with the result.

Requirement of the Tungsten carbide powder is increased a lot so there are many
quality issues on powder particle size, shape, method of manufacture and apparent density.

Regards,
Krishan

Dear Krishan

Thank you for the explanation.

Gito

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  STOICHIOMETRIC DENSITY CALCULATION OF ALLOY DENSITY Vijay Deshpande 1 6,593 06-21-2011, 07:03 PM
Last Post: Gordon