aluminum liquid
01-17-2009, 06:35 AM,
aluminum liquid
Hi All,
I need a little help here. I have a part that need to be coating, but I don't know which material is available for this coating.
The part is call 'tubing riser', it's used to flow the aluminum liquid to dies. this 'tubing riser' is made from cash iron, and it is corrosion to the aluminum, in every week it should be replace.

do you have any suggestion, which material should we used for coating to increase the life time of the 'tubing riser'? and how long

for additional information it is had to be heat resistance.
and the other question is, how about if it is not used to flow aluminum liquid, but sulfide/sulphur?

Thx.

Br,
Reza Bertoni
01-17-2009, 08:48 AM,
RE: aluminum liquid
Pls let me know the size of tubing riser's ID, if it is below 5 ", so far no extention gun can do it.
Talking about Sulfide / sulfur, also let me know the concentration, working temperature etc, I have a corrosion handbook to solve your problem.
Thanks & Regards,
Iwan Sedaryawan - Website : https://www.ciptaagung.com
Happy0193
01-17-2009, 02:50 PM,
Hi Reza

Grey alumina or magnesium zirconate thermal spray coatings appear to be good in similar applications, but as iwan-sedaryawan says internal diameters may be impractical or difficult to thermal spray. Conformal ceramic coatings (slurry type + bake) may be worth considering (no experience, just a thought Smile ).
01-19-2009, 12:54 PM,
Just to note I have moved these posts to form a new thread HVOF coatings on inside diameters down to 8 cm

(01-17-2009, 10:52 PM)SteelDryver Wrote: We can do HVOF coatings on inside diameters down to 8 cm (what is that? 3.2 inches) up to 1.5 meters deep. Smile

Steeldryver

Admin Edit: Post split from aluminum-liquid to form new thread.

(01-18-2009, 07:57 PM)Gordon Wrote: Hi SteelDryver

Quote:We can do HVOF coatings on inside diameters down to 8 cm (what is that? 3.2 inches) up to 1.5 meters deep. Smile

Are you sure? I would be interested in how this is done. I seriously doubt whether it would be able to apply refractiry ceramic type coating suitable for molten aluminium resistance. I hope I think wrongly Smile

(01-18-2009, 08:34 PM)SteelDryver Wrote: I know it's difficult to believe. Tell me where or how I could post some infos (pdf or powerpoint). I'd love to show you how we do ID HVOF (and now it gets even more difficult to believe) without overheating the substrate.

regards, Steeldryver

(01-18-2009, 07:57 PM)Gordon Wrote: Hi SteelDryver

Quote:We can do HVOF coatings on inside diameters down to 8 cm (what is that? 3.2 inches) up to 1.5 meters deep. Smile

Are you sure? I would be interested in how this is done. I seriously doubt whether it would be able to apply refractiry ceramic type coating suitable for molten aluminium resistance. I hope I think wrongly Smile

Admin Edit: Post split from to form new thread.

(01-18-2009, 09:05 PM)Gordon Wrote: Hi SteelDryver

Quote:I know it's difficult to believe. Tell me where or how I could post some infos (pdf or powerpoint). I'd love to show you how we do ID HVOF (and now it gets even more difficult to believe) without overheating the substrate.

You can make a pdf attachment in your posts (1024 KB max) in the same way as attaching images Smile

Admin Edit: Post split from [url=http://www.gordonengland.co.uk/sef/aluminum-liquid-t-701.html]aluminum-liquid to form new thread.

(01-18-2009, 09:21 PM)SteelDryver Wrote:
(01-18-2009, 09:05 PM)Gordon Wrote: Hi SteelDryver

Quote:I know it's difficult to believe. Tell me where or how I could post some infos (pdf or powerpoint). I'd love to show you how we do ID HVOF (and now it gets even more difficult to believe) without overheating the substrate.

You can make a pdf attachment in your posts (1024 KB max) in the same way as attaching images Smile

Hi Gordon,

attached is a paper in relatively poor english. But it does describe the procedure pretty well. Some bedtime reading.Happy0193

SteelDryver

(01-18-2009, 09:55 PM)Gordon Wrote: Hi SteelDryver

Thanks for posting article Cheers very interesting. I will take a little more time to digest. I still doubt its use in this particular application, but I think its certainly more than worthy for discussion in a new thread. When I have more time, I will create a new thread containing these recent posts, if you don't mind, so as not to go too off topic here.

01-24-2009, 01:59 PM,
Gordon your response has been as always been right but the over sight has been the question of a (TBC) thermal barrier coating HVOF coating have weir resistance but not a heat barrier. So then these argument movers to the base material

(01-17-2009, 02:50 PM)Gordon Wrote: Hi Reza

Grey alumina or magnesium zirconate thermal spray coatings appear to be good in similar applications, but as iwan-sedaryawan says internal diameters may be impractical or difficult to thermal spray. Conformal ceramic coatings (slurry type + bake) may be worth considering (no experience, just a thought Smile ).
01-26-2009, 04:52 PM,
Hi VULCAN

Sign0016 to the Surface Engineering Forum.

Not sure if I have understood your post correctly, but I would not recommend a ceramic or TBC coating via the HVOF process on small internal diameters anyway. Flame or plasma spray would be better if it is in fact practical in the fist place.

Economics I guess will play a big part - Uncoated part lasts 1 week, say coated part extends life by say X2 (just for example). If by coating, the part cost is more than doubled then this may be considered uneconomic.
01-26-2009, 05:00 PM,
Hi Gordon, hi Reza Bertoni,

I got an Idea. A ceramic coating will probably develop cracks very quickly due to the temp cycling. Then the molten Aluminum will quickly attack through the cracks. The idea behind HVOF would be to generate a coating with a very high compressive stress, reducing the cracking problem. But as you said, Ceramics don't do HVOF and don't do temperature cycling very well.

Hmmm. How about something like CrB in a NiCr20 metal matrix? That would form a boron surface for corrosion resistance, would be applied with HVOF (Compressive residual stress). The only remaining problem is the economics.

regards, SteelDryver
01-26-2009, 06:00 PM,
Hi Reza

Could you give us an idea of the dimensions of the parts.

Hi SteelDryver

I remembered discussing something similar a while ago, I think it might be these threads boriding-or-boronizing and carbide in chromium nickel matrix mechanical properties. It was the mention of CrB that made me think. Problem is nearly all metallic coatings we be attacked by molten aluminium. Boronising was a thought, but I think this will also be attacked. I'm sure some of these would no doubt increase life of part, as I'm sure even with ceramic coatings life would be limited.

I would initially think about some of the boron nitride paint on type products (if they are not too expensive) to test first.
01-26-2009, 08:43 PM,
Hi Gordon, Hi Reza,

Agreed. The molten Aluminum doesn't make it easier. I think there are several possibilities that would extend the life of the part. The question is the economics. I'd be interested in pursuing this further.

regards, SteelDryver
02-05-2009, 04:44 AM,
Hi Mr. Iwan,
Here I give you the information that you need, Length to be coated is 400mm, Inside dia. 76 mm, outside dia. 128 mm.
I don't know about the concentration, the temperature may be it's around 400-500 degree. Thx for your help.

(01-17-2009, 08:48 AM)iwan-sedaryawan Wrote: Pls let me know the size of tubing riser's ID, if it is below 5 ", so far no extention gun can do it.
Talking about Sulfide / sulfur, also let me know the concentration, working temperature etc, I have a corrosion handbook to solve your problem.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Liquid fuel hvof testing Parat Tech 0 3,160 05-19-2015, 10:50 AM
Last Post: Parat Tech
  applicatiion of liquid boriding alae9k 0 2,909 12-24-2012, 09:18 AM
Last Post: alae9k
  Coating for Pressurized Liquid Oxygen jsheridan 6 9,339 11-21-2009, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Gordon
  Flame Spray with Liquid Precursor aioa 4 7,209 03-27-2009, 08:46 PM
  Black coated aluminum fin & Hydrophilic coated aluminum fin comparison Lumbantoruan 3 12,803 01-30-2009, 07:51 AM
Last Post: Lumbantoruan
  handling of liquid MFCs rider362 1 4,490 07-04-2008, 11:47 AM