abrasive resistant coating for titanium
02-06-2014, 11:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-06-2014, 11:27 AM by christianos.)
abrasive resistant coating for titanium
Dear All,

I have a component made of titanium (Ti64) which has to be coated.
The coating should be an abrasive resistant coating and should not be thick to preserve geometry of the component.

I was thinking about some PVD coatings (TiAlN) or even DLC (diamond like coating), however, I'm not sure how that would work with low modulus titanium.

In addition, PVD process involves high temperature (high vacuum at 150 -500 Deg C). Would I need some stress relaxation after the process? How that would affect the coating itself?

Many thanks,

Chris
02-06-2014, 07:47 PM,
RE: abrasive resistant coating for titanium
Our company has successfully coated titanium with various materials using HVAF. It is important not to overheat titanium during coating, or it will degrade. Therefore, proper spraying and cooling techniques are necessary. Using HVAF will allow you to apply carbides or metal hardface coatings. Contact me off-line if you want to discuss further.
02-07-2014, 10:22 AM,
(02-06-2014, 07:47 PM)djewell Wrote: Our company has successfully coated titanium with various materials using HVAF. It is important not to overheat titanium during coating, or it will degrade. Therefore, proper spraying and cooling techniques are necessary. Using HVAF will allow you to apply carbides or metal hardface coatings. Contact me off-line if you want to discuss further.

I've read a bit more about HVAF and HVOF and it seems they might be quite thick in general. This is a problem for some sharp edges where the stresses are the highest. In addition I am worried that these HVAF coatings would not preserve a geometry of the component.

Any experience on PVD coatings, such as TiN or TiAlN? These are used for cutting tools. The only worry is that titanium has low modulus of elasticity, thus the TiAlN coating may flake off?

Any ideas?
02-07-2014, 03:22 PM,
HVAF/HVOF coatings do not have to be thick. They can be applied in thin layers and in such a way that they do not change the geometry of the part. Sharp edges are a problem for any coating, no matter how it is applied.
02-10-2014, 09:59 AM,
(02-07-2014, 03:22 PM)djewell Wrote: HVAF/HVOF coatings do not have to be thick. They can be applied in thin layers and in such a way that they do not change the geometry of the part. Sharp edges are a problem for any coating, no matter how it is applied.

What minimum thickness of HVAF/HVOF coating are we talking about? Is is something around 5 microns or significantly more?

02-10-2014, 06:06 PM,
Minimum coating thickness is determined by the size of the particles you spray. No matter how slow you make your feed rate, the particles cannot completely flatten on the substrate. A coating consisting of 1 layer of particles would be several microns thick. Several layers should be applied, but they are not going to change the geometry of your part. Additionally, they are not going to overheat your part and cause it to warp like you are concerned about with PVD.
02-18-2014, 01:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-18-2014, 01:57 PM by dejones.)
(02-06-2014, 11:25 AM)christianos Wrote: Dear All,

I have a component made of titanium (Ti64) which has to be coated.
The coating should be an abrasive resistant coating and should not be thick to preserve geometry of the component.

I was thinking about some PVD coatings (TiAlN) or even DLC (diamond like coating), however, I'm not sure how that would work with low modulus titanium.

In addition, PVD process involves high temperature (high vacuum at 150 -500 Deg C). Would I need some stress relaxation after the process? How that would affect the coating itself?

Many thanks,

Chris

you may want to check the hardide process.
03-05-2014, 09:24 AM,
Hardide process seems to be a quite promissing one. I will have a closer look at this. Hardide looks good 'on the paper', some tests would need to be conducted to clarify this.

At the moment I am considering TiN coating, however, I am not very happy about its wear restistance properties.

Thank you All for all the replies, I appreciate it.
05-28-2014, 04:00 PM,
Hi Chris,

I haven't been on the forum in a while, and I only just now saw your post. I work with Hardide in the US and would be happy to speak with you, but you may have already spoken with our team in the UK office.

We do have the ability to coat Ti in our CVD process, but part size and other factors can sometimes make this a challenge.

+1 713 677 3504

Regards,
Dan Wilson
Hardide Coatings www.hardide.com
01-30-2015, 08:57 PM,
christianos,

We have a production job coating a Ti,6-4 part on a seal surface. The coating is 86-10-4 (WC-Co-Cr). The coating is finished at 0.0025" with an 8 Ra micro-inch finish. It sees 5,000 PSI sea water without a sealer. Contact me offline for further information.

Best regards,
JJStick
Kermetico

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abrasive Blasting Surface Comparator Taz 1 3,126 08-17-2017, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Max K
  Non stick wear resistant coating KevGarty 6 8,650 02-27-2012, 01:21 AM
Last Post: jasonpbond
  Solvent Resistant Sealers - Know of any good ones? MichiganMan 2 4,102 04-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Last Post: MichiganMan
  HCl media resistant coating jeffsays163 7 13,099 02-19-2009, 08:00 PM
Last Post: djewell
  Right blast abrasive material ANS 3 7,893 04-12-2007, 11:42 AM
Last Post: Gordon