Wire drawing cracking problem
06-20-2016, 11:22 PM,
Wire drawing cracking problem
Hi, good afternoon.

I need some points of view about a problems that I have.

In the company we repair wire drawing blocks with HVOF tungsten carbide. In some occasions the wear of the capstans that we work are to several so we need to fill the wear (0.130 in diameter) using TWAS carbon steel coating (0.06-0.15 %C ,1.40-1.85% Mn) and then we apply the WC-Co, previous a grinding process and the sandblast, obviously.
A cracking problem occurs intermittently only in the carbon steel filling coating, and there is not only a wire drawing problem, this problem can present in all the carbon steel filling pieces. We had the idea that the cracking problem came from the filling, but making a probe we discovered that no, the substrate (carbon steel coating) is ok, with no crack (DPI inspection). Thinking that the HVOF parameters and material were the root of the problem, we made some specimens to analyze in the lab, the results are ok, no cracking, the hardness 1058.73 ± 139.59 HV , the porosity less than 1% and a very good carbide distribution.
So, I have some theories, one is the materials thermal expansion, specially the filling material (carbon steel). I know that the residual stress induced in the coating process (TWAS) is considerable and could be that with the HVOF process temperature the piece achieve a stress relief modifying a little bit the dimensions affecting the carbide coating.
Using the material coating physical properties of the TAFA 9000 operation manual.
Coefficient of thermal expansion:
420 ss : 6.6x10-7 in/in (1000 F)
95Ni-5Al: 7x10-6 in/in (1000 F)
I thing that try to using 420 ss or Ni Al TWAS coatings replacing the Carbon steel, of a small coating (This depends of the wear) around 0.060 in diameter can solve the craking problem, this for the thermal expansion differences.
What do you thing about the problem, Do you thing that is a process problem? What do you thing about the filling material change?
I hope your points of views about my problem. I think that changing the filling material can solve the problem but, Do you have any experience with this kind of problem?

Thank you!

Héctor
06-21-2016, 10:03 PM,
RE: Wire drawing cracking problem
(06-20-2016, 11:22 PM)Hector Monjardin Wrote: Hi, good afternoon.

I need some points of view about a problems that I have.

In the company we repair wire drawing blocks with HVOF tungsten carbide. In some occasions the wear of the capstans that we work are to several so we need to fill the wear (0.130 in diameter) using TWAS carbon steel coating (0.06-0.15 %C ,1.40-1.85% Mn) and then we apply the WC-Co, previous a grinding process and the sandblast, obviously.
A cracking problem occurs intermittently only in the carbon steel filling coating, and there is not only a wire drawing problem, this problem can present in all the carbon steel filling pieces. We had the idea that the cracking problem came from the filling, but making a probe we discovered that no, the substrate (carbon steel coating) is ok, with no crack (DPI inspection). Thinking that the HVOF parameters and material were the root of the problem, we made some specimens to analyze in the lab, the results are ok, no cracking, the hardness 1058.73 ± 139.59 HV , the porosity less than 1% and a very good carbide distribution.
So, I have some theories, one is the materials thermal expansion, specially the filling material (carbon steel). I know that the residual stress induced in the coating process (TWAS) is considerable and could be that with the HVOF process temperature the piece achieve a stress relief modifying a little bit the dimensions affecting the carbide coating.
Using the material coating physical properties of the TAFA 9000 operation manual.
Coefficient of thermal expansion:
420 ss : 6.6x10-7 in/in (1000 F)
95Ni-5Al: 7x10-6 in/in (1000 F)
I thing that try to using 420 ss or Ni Al TWAS coatings replacing the Carbon steel, of a small coating (This depends of the wear) around 0.060 in diameter can solve the craking problem, this for the thermal expansion differences.
What do you thing about the problem, Do you thing that is a process problem? What do you thing about the filling material change?
I hope your points of views about my problem. I think that changing the filling material can solve the problem but, Do you have any experience with this kind of problem?

Thank you!

Héctor

Hi hector
when you repair ,you should be sure that all old coating has faded away after grinding ,if not you will have cracks ,also you have to control the heat of steel to stop coating ,when you reach the limite supported by dilatation ,you can stop let the substrat colding and finish coating later ,I hope it could help
06-22-2016, 08:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-22-2016, 08:08 AM by sprayloud.)

There are a few threads with similar questions. You might find some answers there:
http://www.gordonengland.co.uk/sef/Threa...20-coating
http://www.gordonengland.co.uk/sef/Threa...lame-Spray
06-23-2016, 05:37 PM,
Thank you Corund!...
I'm working with that.

Regards

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PWA 53-5 Microhardness Cracking Problem JeffVigor 0 606 03-31-2023, 06:03 PM
Last Post: JeffVigor
  Cracking issues with plasma sprayed Wc-Co coating Hydro-Gen 0 805 12-23-2022, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Hydro-Gen
  CrC-NiCr cracking network louishong 6 1,412 10-07-2022, 08:57 AM
Last Post: Vadim Verlotski
  16C-NS cracking issue kyuntak 36 9,972 08-13-2022, 07:34 AM
Last Post: Vadim Verlotski
  Metco 204 cracking Christian_B 8 5,783 03-07-2017, 03:54 PM
Last Post: J!m
  HVOF 88 WC-12Co Cracking problem on wire drawing capstan Hector Monjardin 7 7,121 10-19-2016, 11:55 PM
Last Post: Hector Monjardin
  Cracking issue with NiCrSiB divanis 3 7,083 06-14-2011, 09:20 AM
Last Post: Frantisek
  PTA cracking problem Arturas 5 8,747 01-28-2010, 09:38 PM
Last Post: djewell
  twin wire arc spraying equipment for stainless steel wire, monel wire, etc. technovel 6 12,751 08-01-2008, 11:59 AM
Last Post: adam wintle
  Cracking of WC-Co-Cr coatings Graham Bulman 2 9,858 08-26-2006, 04:50 PM
Last Post: Vladimir