Wear resisitant coating
03-30-2008, 02:15 AM,
Wear resisitant coating
Hi Gordon and all,

I am looking for an arc sprayed coating for truck tail lifts (ramps) that is subject to loading by steel wheeled trolleys. The items on the trolleys have been refridgerated so some moisture is involved. The coating will have to be rough otherwise the loaders may slip over. Safety is a major issue with this application. The application was previously done with Aluminium Bronze by another contractor but this didn't last long at all. Any help with this solution wouuld be much appreciated.

I am looking for the most economical - yet effective and easy to apply coating solution.

Best regards

Glen B

BTW: Great site!
03-30-2008, 04:54 PM,
RE: Wear resisitant coating
Dear Glenb,
We had similar application for forklifts some years ago. We just encapsulated forks with brass sheets, drilledd holes at no of locations and spot brazed. for providing a rough surface we just made paterns using rough files and this solution was a graet success as we did it for no of forks used for fork lifts for a refinery project.
Vijay Deshpande
03-30-2008, 08:55 PM,
vijaydeshin Wrote:Dear Glenb,
We had similar application for forklifts some years ago. We just encapsulated forks with brass sheets, drilledd holes at no of locations and spot brazed. for providing a rough surface we just made paterns using rough files and this solution was a graet success as we did it for no of forks used for fork lifts for a refinery project.
Vijay Deshpande

Thank you for your reply Vijay. Just to clarify, this application is the surface of the ramp that goes up and down on the rear of transportation trucks (lorries to us Brits). The goods are loaded onto steel wheeled trolleys and manuallly pushed onto this ramp and into the back of the truck. The issues are heavy wear on the ramp surface and slip-sliding hazards for the human loaders.

Cheers

GlenB
03-31-2008, 10:09 AM,
Hi Glenb

Sign0016 to the Surface Engineering Forum.

How did the aluminium bronze coating (I guess arc sprayed) perform? Did it just wear out too quick from being too soft or did it fail in other ways like peeling off or from corrosion problems?

I would consider much harder arc sprayed coatings, such as 13Cr steel or probably better with a cored wire like High chromium/carbon iron or similar.
03-31-2008, 11:00 AM,
Hi Gordon,

Thanks for your reply.

The Al' Bronze just wore away way too fast - it wasn't up to the job.
I was wondering about 13% Cr Steel ('60 E or T'). I like your suggestion of a Cr Carbon Iron. The thing is that this may be overkill but it will do the job - forget about recoating for a while! What sealer would you recommend?

Thanks very much for your help.

GlenB
03-31-2008, 11:22 AM,
Hi GlenB

I think a cheap and cheerful linseed oil based sealer (AG?) should do a good job, if you don't mind the long cure time. Don't over do it though, you want it only to seal the coating and not to provide a paint film, which will fill in the wanted surface texture.
04-01-2008, 03:29 PM,
Hi Glen B,

I have some good news and some not so good news. This used to be be done by a company called Ross and Bonnyman (I think the spelling is correct). They used to use a material called Duralcan which is aluminium oxide particles in an aluminium matrix. Now the not so good news. This material is no longer available. On a brighter note, when this material became unavailable, they changed to spraying a rough coating of pure aluminium. On an even brighter note, we are hoping to have a replacement to Duralcan available within the next few months. If you need more information, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Stuart.
Stuart Milton
Metallisation Ltd
https://www.metallisation.com
04-01-2008, 05:00 PM,
Hi GlenB

In addition to Stuart Milton post, see this thread anti-slip-coating-t-335.html
To be honest I don't know how an aluminium/alumina metal matrix composite coating like Duralcan would perform purely on wear resistance in comparison to aluminium bronze and the much harder coatings, but it would certainly have a big advantage regarding anti-corrosion. I would certainly put it on the list of coatings to test.
04-03-2008, 11:48 AM,
Thank you Gentleman,

It sounds like an ideal and economical solution - Just hope I can get some by Friday!
Maybe I could put an injector on my arc spray gun and 'powder feed' fine Al' Ox' blast media into the stream - I may have invented a new hybrid? - Just kidding!Happy0193

Thanks for all your help .

Regards

GlenB
04-10-2008, 01:11 PM,
Just had the suggestion of Stellite 1 arc sprayed - isn't that overkill?
The weight on the trolleys can be almost 2 Tonnes but isn't this coating too good (and too costly) for it's function?

I would appreciate your feedback.

Thank you

GlenB
04-10-2008, 01:38 PM,
I would tend to agree. You are starting to talk about adding a significant cost to the item and I'm not sure that you would get the corrosion protection. It would certainly be hard.

We have only seen this application done with Duralcan or pure aluminium - probably for technical and commercial reasons.

Can you email me some contact details so that we can get in touch when we have the alternative to Duralcan available.
Stuart Milton
Metallisation Ltd
https://www.metallisation.com
04-14-2008, 04:15 PM,
GlenB Wrote:Just had the suggestion of Stellite 1 arc sprayed - isn't that overkill?
The weight on the trolleys can be almost 2 Tonnes but isn't this coating too good (and too costly) for it's function?

I would appreciate your feedback.

Thank you

GlenB

Stuart Milton Wrote:I would tend to agree. You are starting to talk about adding a significant cost to the item and I'm not sure that you would get the corrosion protection. It would certainly be hard.

We have only seen this application done with Duralcan or pure aluminium - probably for technical and commercial reasons.

Can you email me some contact details so that we can get in touch when we have the alternative to Duralcan available.

I also tend to agree. Many of the hard coatings will have potential for bimetallic corrosion problems unlike the aluminium based coatings. In fact I would have predicted problems with the initial aluminium bronze coating on steel. Any breakdown on the coating barrier effect and the coating will in fact act as a corrosion accelerator for the underlying steel.

"The weight on the trolleys can be almost 2 Tonnes" but more important is the pressure or contact area supporting this load. A small stone or hard object trapped between wheel and coating will cause damage and I think very few coating systems if any could prevent this from happening. At least an aluminium based coating should provide some corrosion protection to damaged areas. I think you will need to accept that these coatings will not have infinite life/rough texture and that the ramps may need periodic re-coating.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  coating Al cylinder for wear resistance sal 7 8,202 09-08-2012, 06:58 AM
Last Post: sal
  Wc/Co Coating wear. Brent 5 6,543 03-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Last Post: loriolo
  Non stick wear resistant coating KevGarty 6 8,654 02-27-2012, 01:21 AM
Last Post: jasonpbond
Cool Anti-Stick/wear coating TintinMilou 3 8,455 11-13-2007, 03:44 AM
Last Post: Gordon