Titanium Anodizing type-II per AMS 2488
06-27-2012, 10:13 AM,
Titanium Anodizing type-II per AMS 2488

Dear members,
I am recently given the total responsibility of Surface Finishing department in our company. We are manufacturing Medical devices and on most Titanium Products, we do Titanium Anodizing Type-III (color - without addition of measurable thickness) . But some of our customers are insisting for Titanium Anodizing type-II per AMS 2488 (Approx.Grey coloured coating with a measurable coating thickness). This is also a biocompatible coating. I tried browsing and googled a lot for finding the actual Chemical used and the process control details for it, but failed. If any one you can suggest me the name and details of the chemical and possible source where it is available, I will be greatful.

Thank You,
Manoharan
07-22-2012, 03:57 PM,
RE: Titanium Anodizing type-II per AMS 2488
Hi Manoharan

Sign0016 to the Surface Engineering Forum.

I will bump this this thread as it has been unanswered
07-24-2012, 03:25 PM,
Can't say I know much about titanium anodizing, but this seems to be at least a starting point for information.

https://www.youtube.com/user/anodizetita...ture=watch

At a glance it seems that the "measurable thickness" may be a bit of a misnomer, because if I understand the process correctly parts are dimensionally identical before/after the process. They may want you to section a sample or a part and measure the degree to which the anodization has penetrated?
09-25-2012, 03:06 PM,
(07-24-2012, 03:25 PM)MichiganMan Wrote: Can't say I know much about titanium anodizing, but this seems to be at least a starting point for information.

https://www.youtube.com/user/anodizetita...ture=watch

At a glance it seems that the "measurable thickness" may be a bit of a misnomer, because if I understand the process correctly parts are dimensionally identical before/after the process. They may want you to section a sample or a part and measure the degree to which the anodization has penetrated?

Hi MichiganMan,
First of all my apologies for not able to respond timely to your wonderful help due to my management's decision to hold on to that project & I was forced to be on another project which I just completed. Now they are after me again to establish the process, as we have a potentially big qty order for Medical devices needing this process. Thank you verymuch for the usefull link, and you are right that the dimension won't change significantly. The measurement or test methods are not defined yet. May I trouble you once again to advise me of any possible sources where we can get the specific chemical (name or composition not known to me) and its application notes (process specs)?
Thanks in advance,
Mano