Testing equipment after surface engineering processes
11-24-2008, 05:21 AM,
Testing equipment after surface engineering processes
Hi guys, i just want to about the equipment that can detect any chemical composition of material, especially when any surface engineering process applied on the material surface. Can you suggest the most suitable chemical composition equipment?perhaps, portable equipment. which web site?And also, when HVOF is done, how we can measure the hardness of the surface layer?
11-25-2008, 02:16 AM,
RE: ?? for testing equipment after surface engineering process is done
Hi ir_minja

Quote:Hi guys, i just want to about the equipment that can detect any chemical composition of material, especially when any surface engineering process applied on the material surface. Can you suggest the most suitable chemical composition equipment?perhaps, portable equipment. which web site?

(links dead)

I suspect you are thinking of this type of material identification equipment. I'm afraid I have little experience with them and have not really come across the use of them generally in thermal spray coating shops.

Quote:when HVOF is done, how we can measure the hardness of the surface layer?

The standard type hardness (Vickers and superficial Rockwell) testing methods used for thermal spray coatings are normally considered as destructive tests. So these methods are usually applied to test pieces, ideally sprayed as part of the work to duplicate conditions. There are small portable type hardness testers, which may be considered as non-destructive and may be suitable on finished machine coatings (assuming they leave little or no indentation damage), but these would need very careful calibration to the specific coating you are testing. I certainly would not trust the direct readouts in Vickers or Rockwell or whatever without some cross-reference to actual standard tests for that particular hardness scale.
11-25-2008, 03:41 AM,
RE: ?? for testing equipment after surface engineering process is done
(11-25-2008, 02:16 AM)Gordon Wrote: Hi ir_minja

Quote:Hi guys, i just want to about the equipment that can detect any chemical composition of material, especially when any surface engineering process applied on the material surface. Can you suggest the most suitable chemical composition equipment?perhaps, portable equipment. which web site?

(links dead)

I suspect you are thinking of this type of material identification equipment. I'm afraid I have little experience with them and have not really come across the use of them generally in thermal spray coating shops.

Quote:when HVOF is done, how we can measure the hardness of the surface layer?

The standard type hardness (Vickers and superficial Rockwell) testing methods used for thermal spray coatings are normally considered as destructive tests. So these methods are usually applied to test pieces, ideally sprayed as part of the work to duplicate conditions. There are small portable type hardness testers, which may be considered as non-destructive and may be suitable on finished machine coatings (assuming they leave little or no indentation damage), but these would need very careful calibration to the specific coating you are testing. I certainly would not trust the direct readouts in Vickers or Rockwell or whatever without some cross-reference to actual standard tests for that particular hardness scale.
Usually, my client will give us the estimate hardness that they want. My problem is, every time when the client sent their material to fabricate the shaft or whatever pump parts, he also cannot identified the based material of the item. And i thought that, when we have that chemical composition testing equipment, we can figure it out what type of the material and that will make our work more easily. I will considered the NDT equipement rather than DT equipment. I'm really hope that, someone in this forum can guide me what the suitable equipement regarding this matter.

Rgds,
Minja

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Porous Machined Surface on Part Lower Inner Diameter on Inco 718 Coating Surface Alexangel1226 4 9,013 03-19-2008, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Gordon
Question Surface engineering in aircraft parts Yves 1 6,971 10-12-2006, 04:37 PM
Last Post: Gordon